Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2006, 07:08 PM   #1

Checking Oil Pressure

Hey all,

I have been trying to track down a ticking noise coming from inside the engine compartment of a 2000S, so me and a friend put it on stands and opened up the top to see where it was coming from (and also to see just how it was put together). Seems like the sound is coming from the engine and both sides of it, so my friend suggested valve tap, which seems like a possibility now.

Now I know that sound is also part of the Porsche charm, and perhaps a bit of the aging process, but I've learned that valve tap could be a symptom of low oil pressure. I noted that the rev-based ticking did not seem to go away revving the engine (just got drowned out by the engine sound), and it didn't seem to diminish when the engine warmed up.

Does anyone know of a way to check oil pressure in a 2000 S without getting a seperate oil pressure gauge? I read the service manual and it seems like there is an oil pressure sensor, but there isn't a code to read it in the console test mode thing.

Failing that, has anyone dealt with low oil pressure? I didn't see any collapsing tubes or whatnot in the engine when revving, and the RMS looked fine. I wasn't sure exactly where the air-oil seperator was but I don't get any smoke on startup so didn't seem like the symptons fit. Suggestions?

-David
2000 Ocean Blue S

Last edited by David N.; 10-01-2006 at 07:11 PM.
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David N.
Hey all,

I have been trying to track down a ticking noise coming from inside the engine compartment of a 2000S, so me and a friend put it on stands and opened up the top to see where it was coming from (and also to see just how it was put together). Seems like the sound is coming from the engine and both sides of it, so my friend suggested valve tap, which seems like a possibility now.

Now I know that sound is also part of the Porsche charm, and perhaps a bit of the aging process, but I've learned that valve tap could be a symptom of low oil pressure. I noted that the rev-based ticking did not seem to go away revving the engine (just got drowned out by the engine sound), and it didn't seem to diminish when the engine warmed up.

Does anyone know of a way to check oil pressure in a 2000 S without getting a seperate oil pressure gauge? I read the service manual and it seems like there is an oil pressure sensor, but there isn't a code to read it in the console test mode thing.

Failing that, has anyone dealt with low oil pressure? I didn't see any collapsing tubes or whatnot in the engine when revving, and the RMS looked fine. I wasn't sure exactly where the air-oil seperator was but I don't get any smoke on startup so didn't seem like the symptons fit. Suggestions?

-David
2000 Ocean Blue S
Hi,

Mileage? I think you may be obsessing, but all the same, you would need to hook up a remote gauge to read Oil PSI. The valves don't have Tappets in the traditional sense, they use a hydraulic lifter (no valves to adjust). But, these can fail or get sticky.

1st thing I'd do would be to change the Oil and Filter. A fresh batch of Oil can often clean up a stuck lifter - problem solved. If no-joy, well at least it was about the cheapest place to start.

Other than this, you're probably going to need to do surgery to get to the heart of it. Short of that, get a mechanics stethoscope and see if you can better isolate the sound, and/or have a mechanic give you a 2nd opinion. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:33 PM   #3

Good call, I am indeed obsessing A supervisor at work told me it takes about 3 months to get over it (as he took for his factory new M3). But, better safe than sorry, and that ticking from the blower vent is driving me up the wall.

I'll try an oil change in a bit, but it got new oil at the 44k service with the prev owner and it's at 47k now so...maybe wait on that a little. Thanks for the input Jim.

-David
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by David N.
Good call, I am indeed obsessing A supervisor at work told me it takes about 3 months to get over it (as he took for his factory new M3). But, better safe than sorry, and that ticking from the blower vent is driving me up the wall.

I'll try an oil change in a bit, but it got new oil at the 44k service with the prev owner and it's at 47k now so...maybe wait on that a little. Thanks for the input Jim.

-David
Hi,

Realize that there is a Low Oil Pressure Warning Indicator (9th Idiot light from the right below the Tach). This lights in self-diagnostic mode when you turn on the ignition and extinguishes once proper pressure is reached. If this isn't lit, assuming the sensor is operating, you're OK...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote