Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2019, 04:45 PM   #1
Who's askin'?

986 vs 987 oil return tubes

Can someone help me understand why the 987 return tube is supposed to be better at getting the oil back to the sump?

From initial Appearance, the 986 unit seems to split the return, top and bottom, which in my mind means getting more oil into the sump with less aeration.

?

Waddy'all know about this?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:31 AM   #2
Who's askin'?

I'm kind of amazed. Given the amount of LNE koolaid that gets drunk around here, I thought there'd be plenty of people to explain this to me. This is, after all, their idea, and part of what they claim will help solve the oil starvation problem at the track.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:18 AM   #3

deairated (..?)

Maytag,

I believe that the main reason to change them is to improve the removal of air (and foam) from the oil before it drains down to the oil pan, so the pick-up screen gets only oil without air bubbles...

Not sure if my explanation makes sense...
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:16 PM   #4
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Maytag,

I believe that the main reason to change them is to improve the removal of air (and foam) from the oil before it drains down to the oil pan, so the pick-up screen gets only oil without air bubbles...

Not sure if my explanation makes sense...
Your explanation makes sense, but it seems to me that the 986 unit would be BETTER at removing air and foam. There are some threads on other forums where the 986 return tubes are actually referred to as a "secondary air/oil separator". I can see how this may be the case, as air could rise while oil drops.
I don't know.
It seems that shooting all the oil against the side of the motor (as the 997 unit appears to do) may indeed serve to remove air, as the oil runs down into the pan.

I dunno.

Old 08-24-2019, 03:26 PM   #5
Racer Boy

Porsche has a history of improving things along the way, so based on that, I'm guessing that the 987 return tube is better.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:29 PM   #6
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
Porsche has a history of improving things along the way, so based on that, I'm guessing that the 987 return tube is better.
Haha, that's what I finally decided, and buttoned it up today with the 997 tubes.

My shoulders hurt..... and I stink.... so I'm not finishing this project today.

I used to think arthritis was only for old people.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:45 AM   #7

The 986 parts are swirl pots, they are better at reducing aeration, but it was decided by the "experts" that getting the oil back into the sump faster with the 987 units is preferrable. Im not so sure but i run the 987 ones
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:57 AM   #8
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
The 986 parts are swirl pots, they are better at reducing aeration, but it was decided by the "experts" that getting the oil back into the sump faster with the 987 units is preferrable. Im not so sure but i run the 987 ones
Gilles, racer boy, quadcammer: thanks guys, for your input.
It sounds like we're all in agreement..... that we're not so sure it's really an improvement, but it's a place where we trust those whi should know. Haha.

Thanks again.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:04 AM   #9
Racer Boy

Porsche made some really questionable engineering choices when designing these engines (IMS). But generally speaking, as time went by, they refined details with the cars and updated component designs (with one exception, the IMS; going from double row to single row bearings). When you order parts you see that there are superseded part numbers in many cases.

The company has a tradition of refining designs, such as the 911. I really don't drink the Superior German Engineering Kool-Aid, but in Porsche's case, I do think that they try to address their mistakes as time goes by.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:33 PM   #10

I seem to remember the opposite. Caymans retrofitting 996 swirl pots for better results
Old 08-30-2019, 08:10 PM   #11
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
I seem to remember the opposite. Caymans retrofitting 996 swirl pots for better results
Well, you'll need to let LN know about it. I don't drink their cool aid like so many others, but I'm not going to dismiss their suggestion when I don't know any better, hahaha.

Last edited by maytag; 08-31-2019 at 12:35 AM.