Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2019, 06:07 AM   #1

Sea Foam engine treatment - any opinions?

Does anyone have any experience with Sea Foam engine treatment, or any other engine treatment, to quiet noisy lifters or otherwise improve engine performance? Any opinions or advice would be welcome!

Dave2001S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:27 AM   #2
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2001S View Post
Does anyone have any experience with Sea Foam engine treatment, or any other engine treatment, to quiet noisy lifters or otherwise improve engine performance? Any opinions or advice would be welcome!
Oh Boy!!! Another 'Engine Treatment' thread.

I'm getting my popcorn ready.

PS. . . . I added Marvel Mystery Oil a couple of years ago at an oil change and it seems to have eliminated what I perceived to be a sticking lifter. Just saying.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:37 AM   #3
Who's askin'?

Quote:
I wouldn't put ANYTHING in my crankcase, with the following exceptions:

Marvel Mystery Oil, which I'll use occasionally in some motors, especially those with hydraulic lifters or other such components.

ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) which I'll use on occassion int he same way I use Marvel, but I prefer Marvel.

Diesel Fuel, which is a last-ditch-effort before throwing-in the towel and opening-up the motor for a freshen-up. I'll replace about 2 qts of oil with Diesel fuel. Run it up to operating temp, rev it freely in short blasts (without a load) and then shut it off, drain it, flush it, replace the oil. This is a last-ditch because you're gonna risk damage to the motor..... but it might be less damage than what's happened / happening already.

ANY of these products, including the Marvel Mystery Oil, is primarily effective because it CLEANS, more than it lubricates. But that means you don't want to put it in and run it for 3000 miles. Put it in for maybe 500 miles. Make sure it gets run-up in the RPM's a bit while it's warm, but be careful not to put too heavy a load on it (no drag-racing!) and then change the oil.

Anything that you add to the crankcase and LEAVE-IN-IT, to "aid in lubrication" is, in my opinion, snake-oil. they call them "friction-modifiers"..... I call them SLUDGE. I've seen those types of additives cause more harm than good. I'd stay away from them.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Oh Boy!!! Another 'Engine Treatment' thread.

I'm getting my popcorn ready.

PS. . . . I added Marvel Mystery Oil a couple of years ago at an oil change and it seems to have eliminated what I perceived to be a sticking lifter. Just saying.
Engine treatment??? Lets skip that and get right to tires and oil! :dance:
Old 11-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #5
On the slippery slope

Garage
Note whose product this is
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:38 PM   #6
Rennzenn

Garage
+1 on maytag's comments regarding Marvel Mystery Oil. If something's snuck into a lifter or the chain tensioners, MMO can clean it out. But don't leave it in there very long.
For Sea Foam, I've run it through a tank of fuel and it seems to help out the injectors a bit. YMMV.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:28 PM   #7

What would be the mix for MMO in our engines? Might be worth it prior to next oil change.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:26 AM   #8
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
What would be the mix for MMO in our engines? Might be worth it prior to next oil change.
for me, I'd have to know WHY you want to do it, before I could answer that question.

What are you trying to solve? What's the problem you're experiencing that makes you want to put something other than oil in your crankcase? (yeah, I worded it that way on purpose, haha.)
Old 11-21-2019, 12:02 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
To quiet noisy lifters, install a noisier exhaust. To improve engine performance install headers.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
for me, I'd have to know WHY you want to do it, before I could answer that question.

What are you trying to solve? What's the problem you're experiencing that makes you want to put something other than oil in your crankcase? (yeah, I worded it that way on purpose, haha.)
You kind of answered that in your previous post. If it can clean, and somewhat refresh, tensioners and such, might be worth while? It was your post that prompted the question. Cleaning might be a good thing? Otherwise I have no issues to solve, just sounded intriguing...
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:41 AM   #11

I use Sea Foam in oil right before every oil change. I have been using the high millage version for what its worth and I add one ounce per quart, rest in fuel tank. I run it around town for less than 20 miles/ a few short trips then change the oil. I use it at the end of the oil life because it can break up sludge. Here are the perks:

-Excellent for cleaning dirty fuel injectors and carb jets, intake valves, and chamber areas after years of harmful buildup.
-Liquefies and cleans stubborn oil residues. Works to prevent sludge accumulation in oil crankcases.
-Use regularly in your fuel tank and oil crankcase to prevent rough engine performance.

I already use Liqui Moly MOS2 anti friction every oil change so the sea foam treatment is more of a gentle flush if you will before oil service.

My engine has 92k miles on a 02 S and I have had the car for about 10k. I had my local shop check for leaks/ perform IMS and take a look at the "top end" while replacing a few old lines and hoses and its very clean (good service history) so I want to keep that trend going and its really peace of mind.

I have never "sea foamed" a porsche via brake booster or throttle body. I monitor the carbon build up post MAF and so far its been very tidy with just a little bit of cleaning when I first bought it. Sea foam worked well in a I6 1999 XJ and my 1996 k2500 7.4 tow pig. I feel as though the higher compression motor and good fuel with techron keep that issue at bay.

Marvel is excellent for use in oil but I have not used it in my 02 S as I am seeing how well the liqui moly keeps valvetrain quiet. I also switched to 5w-30 last oil change it it seems to be running slightly quieter than the Mobil 1 0 weight for what its worth.
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:52 AM   #12

I've used it in lots of stuff over the years, primarily to un-stuck a lifter etc. From my experience, if it won't un-stick it, get the wrenches ready.
ChipThome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:20 AM   #13
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
You kind of answered that in your previous post. If it can clean, and somewhat refresh, tensioners and such, might be worth while? It was your post that prompted the question. Cleaning might be a good thing? Otherwise I have no issues to solve, just sounded intriguing...
Yeah, but note that I said I wouldn't do it unless the potential harm you risk is more desirable than the harm you've got already.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk