View Single Post
Old 11-05-2019, 07:37 AM   #3
maytag
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2001S View Post
Does anyone have any experience with Sea Foam engine treatment, or any other engine treatment, to quiet noisy lifters or otherwise improve engine performance? Any opinions or advice would be welcome!
I wouldn't put ANYTHING in my crankcase, with the following exceptions:

Marvel Mystery Oil, which I'll use occasionally in some motors, especially those with hydraulic lifters or other such components.

ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) which I'll use on occassion int he same way I use Marvel, but I prefer Marvel.

Diesel Fuel, which is a last-ditch-effort before throwing-in the towel and opening-up the motor for a freshen-up. I'll replace about 2 qts of oil with Diesel fuel. Run it up to operating temp, rev it freely in short blasts (without a load) and then shut it off, drain it, flush it, replace the oil. This is a last-ditch because you're gonna risk damage to the motor..... but it might be less damage than what's happened / happening already.

ANY of these products, including the Marvel Mystery Oil, is primarily effective because it CLEANS, more than it lubricates. But that means you don't want to put it in and run it for 3000 miles. Put it in for maybe 500 miles. Make sure it gets run-up in the RPM's a bit while it's warm, but be careful not to put too heavy a load on it (no drag-racing!) and then change the oil.

Anything that you add to the crankcase and LEAVE-IN-IT, to "aid in lubrication" is, in my opinion, snake-oil. they call them "friction-modifiers"..... I call them SLUDGE. I've seen those types of additives cause more harm than good. I'd stay away from them.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote