Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #1

Slack in gear shift

Hi all,

There's a lot of slack in my gear shifter, as you can see in the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVRKrOCiFZQ

But when I lifted the gaiter and inspected the cable end that it's attached to underneath, it moves perfectly with the gear stick with no visible play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsU-A200gNc

I read up online and saw that it could be on the transmission end, but I couldn't find a definitive answer, or fix, for the issue.

Does anyone know a fix for this? It's appalling.

Cheers!

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:01 PM   #2

Is this something new or have you been living with it for a while? It looks as if the cables have too much slack. It's been a while since I last looked at my setup.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Newby View Post
Is this something new or have you been living with it for a while? It looks as if the cables have too much slack. It's been a while since I last looked at my setup.
Unfortunately yeah, since I bought the car 4 years ago.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
Old 10-16-2019, 05:05 PM   #4
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
WOW That front to back slop is insane. That is not correct. I would get under the car and have someone move the shifter so you can see what's going on. I could not imagine trying to drive with that slop. By the way the side to side is about normal for a stock shifter. Oh and your shifter is on the wrong side or maybe it's your steering wheel.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
WOW That front to back slop is insane. That is not correct. I would get under the car and have someone move the shifter so you can see what's going on. I could not imagine trying to drive with that slop. By the way the side to side is about normal for a stock shifter. Oh and your shifter is on the wrong side or maybe it's your steering wheel.
I know right? Side to side is easily fixable with a short shifter (metal bearings) and some shims to stop the play. It's the front to back... either there's play in the transmission end of the ball bearing or maybe the cables have stretched?

Old 10-17-2019, 05:37 AM   #6
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Perhaps the ball cups (not sure of the right name) on the shifter end of the cables are worn out? Easy replacement if you are going to change to SSK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
Perhaps the ball cups (not sure of the right name) on the shifter end of the cables are worn out? Easy replacement if you are going to change to SSK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But they can't be, which is why I took the second video.

Old 10-17-2019, 02:06 PM   #8

When I was installing the engine back in my car I noticed a lot of slop in the bell crank on the rear of the trans. The posts are pressed into the plate that makes up the bell crank and one of mine had worked loose.
Chi-Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:08 PM   #9

Really not sure what you're referring to when you mention bell crank and posts sorry!

I can see the highlighted mechanism but can't seem to figure out which parts you mean.

Did you fix it?

Old 10-17-2019, 02:12 PM   #10

Sorry, the posts on #18 in the pic
Chi-Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:26 AM   #11

Is there a fix for this?

Old 10-22-2019, 10:38 AM   #12

Because you have a 03 or 04 car, you have a complete different linkage for the shifter mechanism at you MT. Not the one in the picture above.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:01 PM   #13

Thanks for the info.

Any word on a fix here guys? Surely I'm not the only one with slack in the gear shifter.

Here's the forum I had found previously:

excessive shifter play

But the fix was a custom-made job by the sounds of it. Would really love a fix.