Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2019, 10:16 AM   #1

3.2L Engine with a 5 Speed - Which flywheel/clutch combo?

Happy 4th guys!

I am in the middle of swapping a 3.2L Engine into a 2.7L 5 Speed car (the 2.7L had IMS failure). I have examined the clutch and flywheel; both are shot and need to be replaced. Since I have to order a new one (can't find any low mileage used ones), should I order the 3.2L Clutch/Flywheel combo or the 2.7L clutch/flywheel combo? I know the 2.7L will work but I didnt know if I should choose the 3.2L since the DM flywheel will likely be set up to handle those harmonics/has stiffer springs. Thanks!

JustinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #2

different spline count between the two transmissions; you will need a 2.7 clutch.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #3
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
different spline count between the two transmissions; you will need a 2.7 clutch.
Are they a different spline count? I know they're a different size input shaft-end. I thought the spline count was the same?

I'm only clarifying, just in case someone thinks they can tell the difference by the correct number of splines. (Maybe they CAN? I guess that's what I'm asking)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:43 PM   #4

Garage
I run a 3.2 flywheel with a 3.2 pressure plate and a Spec clutch with springs. 5 speed transmission with a 3.2 special edition motor with LN cylinder resized to 3.6.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
Thanks! will purchase the 2.7L clutch kit. I assume I should also purchase the 2.7L flywheel as well or will the 3.2L one work?
Old 07-04-2019, 04:17 PM   #6

Could you run a 3.2 flywheel and pressure plate with a 2.7 friction disk? I would think the 3.2 pressure plate would have more clamping power.
Cosmo Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
I run a 3.2 flywheel with a 3.2 pressure plate and a Spec clutch with springs. 5 speed transmission with a 3.2 special edition motor with LN cylinder resized to 3.6.
I guess I missed your post when I responded. So if I understand this correctly, you are running the 3.2L flywheel and pressure plate with a 2.7L Clutch disk (made by spec)?
Old 08-16-2019, 06:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Are they a different spline count? I know they're a different size input shaft-end. I thought the spline count was the same?

I'm only clarifying, just in case someone thinks they can tell the difference by the correct number of splines. (Maybe they CAN? I guess that's what I'm asking)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
just checked - you are correct; different diameter, same spline count. my bad.

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote