Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2019, 06:45 AM   #1

Adding Bose from another car

Good day everyone,

My parts car has the BOSE system and a nice aftermarket head unit, and my plan is to swap the whole thing into our Boxster which just has the regular Hifi system. Both cars are the same year (2002), will all the wiring be there and just plug and play? I imagine i need to change all the speakers, amp, and add the subwoofer behind the seats?

Cheers, Ted

Cosmo Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:27 AM   #2
B6T

It's interesting that your car has both Bose and an aftermarket head unit because from what I know, installing an aftermarket head unit with Bose isn't as easy as it should be because communication between the head unit and amplifier is done via a fiber optic cable... unless your aftermarket head unit has fiber optic/MOST communication? I'm assuming that you've confirmed the parts car has the amplifer and the subwoofer?

I'm in Waterloo if you wanted to come check my car out sometime. I've installed an aftermarket stereo in my car which was originally equipped with a Bose stereo.

Last edited by B6T; 07-30-2019 at 05:32 AM.
B6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:26 PM   #3

The wiring loom is different. So you'll need additional wiring.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:30 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I have started dismantling the car further and found like the comment above that the loom is different. I don't have the connector that goes to the rear speakers, and on the parts car the wires extend all the way under the dash. May not be worth it to try and do the swap.

B6T: My car and the parts car is a 2002 so no most connections, I think that started in 03.
Cosmo Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:45 PM   #5

Maybe Woody from this forum can help with a used wiring loom for the rear Bose speakers. He's located in the US. He has also a Facebook website. https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Automotive-Parts-Store/Woodys-Parts-LLC-866155110110548/