Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2019, 10:06 AM   #1

2000 Boxster 986 2.7L died while driving and won't start (no crank).

Need some help here please.
My 2000 Boxster 986 2.7L died on me while driving, the car all of the sudden turned off, the head lights and the instrument panel are lit and work, but nothing else does. It acts like the battery is dead but its not. The power windows do not work nor do the power locks. My radio works and the convertible top works also, I am also able to move the seats back and forth and the rear spoiler extends and retracts. My key fob has not worked for some time now, but i always opened the car manually and never had any problems with it running. when I turn the key to start the car all the lights in the dash lite up except the check engine light, and nothing happens, no crank.
This is what I have done so far.

Replaced the battery with a new one. even though the previous tested good. 12.37v
I replaced the key switch (electronic part), no change.
bypassed the clutch safety switch, no change
Took the driver seat out, inspected the area for water or moisture, there is none. its completely dry.
Checked the fuse in the immobilizer unit and its good.
put a multimeter and tested the voltage on both sides of the 15AMP fuse in the immobilizer and only got a reading of .56v, no sure if that is correct or if it needs to be 12v.
checked every fuse in the fuse panel and they are all good.
checked the relays in the rear trunk and they are also good
I suspect that the power is not reaching the immobilizer unit. I tried connecting my OBDII scanner and it says it cannot communicate with the car. I always used this scanner in this car with no problems and I checked it in my other car and works fine. Also the LED indicator light on top of the dashboard does not work, and with the key fully opened the check engine light does not light up.

Is there anything in between the key switch and the immobilizer unit that can have a fuse or can cut off power to the unit if defective?
Is there anything that I am missing here?

Any help with would be greatly appreciate it.

986YellowBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986YellowBa View Post
Need some help here please.
My 2000 Boxster 986 2.7L died on me while driving, the car all of the sudden turned off, the head lights and the instrument panel are lit and work, but nothing else does. It acts like the battery is dead but its not. The power windows do not work nor do the power locks. My radio works and the convertible top works also, I am also able to move the seats back and forth and the rear spoiler extends and retracts. My key fob has not worked for some time now, but i always opened the car manually and never had any problems with it running. when I turn the key to start the car all the lights in the dash lite up except the check engine light, and nothing happens, no crank.
This is what I have done so far.

Replaced the battery with a new one. even though the previous tested good. 12.37v
I replaced the key switch (electronic part), no change.
bypassed the clutch safety switch, no change
Took the driver seat out, inspected the area for water or moisture, there is none. its completely dry.
Checked the fuse in the immobilizer unit and its good.
put a multimeter and tested the voltage on both sides of the 15AMP fuse in the immobilizer and only got a reading of .56v, no sure if that is correct or if it needs to be 12v.
checked every fuse in the fuse panel and they are all good.
checked the relays in the rear trunk and they are also good
I suspect that the power is not reaching the immobilizer unit. I tried connecting my OBDII scanner and it says it cannot communicate with the car. I always used this scanner in this car with no problems and I checked it in my other car and works fine. Also the LED indicator light on top of the dashboard does not work, and with the key fully opened the check engine light does not light up.

Is there anything in between the key switch and the immobilizer unit that can have a fuse or can cut off power to the unit if defective?
Is there anything that I am missing here?

Any help with would be greatly appreciate it.
There should be a relay for the DME
Sounds like the DME is not getting power.
On my 2000 3.2S it is in a holder behind the trunk liner on the drivers side.
8-10 bucks at O'Reillys I would look at that
just reread your post and see that you checked the relays. sorry.
I would check all the factory grounding points make sure they are all good.

Last edited by blue62; 06-14-2019 at 07:36 PM.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:39 AM   #3
Will there be cake?

Garage
My hope is particlewave sees this and weighs in. Ton of intelligence and experience, always glad to help.
Search on this forum as well, it’s got to be something simple, just elusive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Find someone with a spare ECU, immobilizer, and key transponder. Swap everything over and see if it starts.

If it doesn't start, then you know it's something on the car side. If it does start, then you can either spend the time to troubleshoot to find which of the three components is the cause or just buy a matched set and get back on the road.

I have a spare matched set (immobilizer, ECU, and transponder) that I could ship to you for testing.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:02 AM   #5

check your easiest most basic things first. Fuses, Relays, which you already checked grounds next. Then I would start testing wiring circuits by doing continuity test and voltage drop tests.
It does sound like the immobilizer is cutting power to the starting circuit and the DME. That may be the reason your OBDII port is not getting power.
I have read the immobilizers circuit board is prone to corrosion problems as it is not sealed against moisture so humidity in the air could possible affect it.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Twice I've seen this exact issue turn out to be a loose nut on the engine bay distribution block.
It's under the engine cover, right by the power steering reservoir (circled below).

If that isn't your issue, try bypassing the start lock relay and see if it cranks.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:01 PM   #7

Is there a end result to this,..?
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:38 PM   #8
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
Is there a end result to this,..?
yes, please

?