Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2019, 10:23 AM   #1

Garage
Unhappy Overheat

I am being driven crazy by this . Last August When I put my 2001 986 Boxster auto in for its mot the local garage informed me it was overheating - they said to leave it with them - It got its mot and after driving about 4 miles from the MOT station to get the road tax the temp gauge started to rise and by the time I got back to the garage about 1 mile later it was redlining.. when they removed the coolant tank top it was like a hot spring shooting into the air.
Left it with the garage . They inform me cylinder head gasket must be blown . Will cost up to £3500 to fix but can’t be sure till they start stripping ???
As I couldn’t afford the outlay they took it back home.( not where I live ) since then I have taken the car out on several occasions to see if the problem can be replicated . Today I drove the car to get up to operating temp and then about 20 miles varying between 55 and 75 mph . The temp gauge stayed static at operating temp. Cooling fans were working. Air con on cool ..... ???? Anyone got any ideas ? - could the overheating have been merely a rogue happening , dirt in thermostat etc etc why is the car still not overheating ?

Skullb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullb View Post
I am being driven crazy by this . Last August When I put my 2001 986 Boxster auto in for its mot the local garage informed me it was overheating - they said to leave it with them - It got its mot and after driving about 4 miles from the MOT station to get the road tax the temp gauge started to rise and by the time I got back to the garage about 1 mile later it was redlining.. when they removed the coolant tank top it was like a hot spring shooting into the air.
Left it with the garage . They inform me cylinder head gasket must be blown . Will cost up to £3500 to fix but can’t be sure till they start stripping ???
As I couldn’t afford the outlay they took it back home.( not where I live ) since then I have taken the car out on several occasions to see if the problem can be replicated . Today I drove the car to get up to operating temp and then about 20 miles varying between 55 and 75 mph . The temp gauge stayed static at operating temp. Cooling fans were working. Air con on cool ..... ???? Anyone got any ideas ? - could the overheating have been merely a rogue happening , dirt in thermostat etc etc why is the car still not overheating ?
First you need to find a better mechanic. These engines use multi layer steel head gaskets that are actually stronger than the cylinder hears or block, they never fail.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:13 PM   #3
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullb View Post
They inform me cylinder head gasket must be blown . Will cost up to £3500 to fix but can’t be sure till they start stripping ???
It overheats, and the very first thing they think is "head gasket"? That's somebody trying to take your money. Find a better mechanic, with trusted references.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:14 AM   #4
Who's askin'?

Oh, and as to the issue:
If you can't reproduce it, it'll be pretty hard to diagnose. If you can't MAKE it overheat, then it's probably not gonna on accident either.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:34 PM   #5

What may have happened is that while running the engine at high revs(MOT test?) without big fan in front of the radiator, they caused it to overheat and it dumped coolant from the plastic coolant tank .Suggest you check the coolant tank cap - a notorious weak point. make sure any replacement is the latest upgraded part number xxxxx004 I think but confirm. The coolant tanks themselves are weak and refilling is a bit of a process.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #6

Garage
Thank you . To everyone for shining some light on this for me. ������

Skullb is offline   Reply With Quote