Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2006, 03:38 PM   #1

Coolant System Pressure check

I want to pressure test my coolant system. Has anyone done this? What did you use?

mackgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackgoo
I want to pressure test my coolant system. Has anyone done this? What did you use?
Hi,

Why do you want to test it? What issues are you having? You need a pressure tester, not an inexpensive tool. I have the Snap-On which goes for something like $350, others are at least $200.

The Boxster doesn't use a pressure cap which can fail, it is constant pressure, no overflow. The 'O' Ring can fail, but if you suspect this, just buy another $13 Cap, not a $200-$350 Tester.

If you have, or suspect, a leak, check all the hoses and joints for signs of a leak and also check the coolant reservoir to see if it's cracked (common) and record the coolant level and rate of drop if any.

A pressure tester must be used very carefully. Overpressurize and you can cause leaks at the clamps, hoses, joints, heater core and maybe worst of all, the Headgasket. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:32 PM   #3

The reason why I ask is I'm trying to find my source of coolant loss. I went to Auto Zone and the one they ahd to lend didn't have a threaded adapter. i'm wondering which ones do.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:54 PM   #4

Quote:
The reason why I ask is I'm trying to find my source of coolant loss. I went to Auto Zone and the one they ahd to lend didn't have a threaded adapter. i'm wondering which ones do.
Hi,

Well, you can run the car, heat-up and pressurize the coolant. Shut the car off and listen for hisses and sniff for the sweet coolant smell.

But, first check the obvious, all joints and hoses you can see, lift the trunk floor and check for cracked reservoir, pull engine front cover and inspect pump, pump bearing, 't'stat housing, etc.

Also, pull the dipstick (if you have one) and check to be sure there's no mayonaise on it to rule out a headgasket leak.

A pressure tester will only confirm that the system won't hold pressure, it won't identify the leak. With the plumbing on a mid-engine car, there'll still be plenty of detective work to do. Hope this helps...

Old 09-14-2006, 05:46 AM   #5

I really want to know what equipment comes with an adaptor that fits on our expansion tank.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:43 AM   #6

Quote:
I really want to know what equipment comes with an adaptor that fits on our expansion tank.
Hi,

Check out this Pressure Tester adapter kit by Stant : http://www.etoolcart.com/browseproducts/Pressure-Tester-Adapter-Kit.HTML . They claim to have an adapter for Porsche see: .http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4466 and : http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4468 . Good Luck...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 09-14-2006 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:12 AM   #7

Thanks.