Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
DIY extremist

The infamous wet passenger carpet

Hi all, I've got an '08 987 Boxster S with a familiar issue: water infiltrating the the passenger side carpet. I've dealt with this before on my old 986, which required me to repair the foam tray. I am flummoxed on the 987, however.

I cleaned out the drains under the convertible top, vacuumed them and then blown them out with compressed air. Did the same with the body drains in the painted area where the top sits when in the down position. Also checked front drains near battery tray. I've poured water into all of these drains and seen it go right to the ground through drain tubes, as intended.

BUT STILL GETTING WET CARPET! What do I check next?

(To be clear, this is water collecting BEHIND the passenger seat.)

black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:37 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_box View Post
... BUT STILL GETTING WET CARPET! What do I check next?
The door and window. Check some of the results of this search:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A986forum.com+window+door+liner+lea k
Old 11-25-2018, 04:57 PM   #3
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_box View Post
Hi all, I've got an '08 987 Boxster S with a familiar issue: water infiltrating the the passenger side carpet. I've dealt with this before on my old 986, which required me to repair the foam tray. I am flummoxed on the 987, however.

I cleaned out the drains under the convertible top, vacuumed them and then blown them out with compressed air. Did the same with the body drains in the painted area where the top sits when in the down position. Also checked front drains near battery tray. I've poured water into all of these drains and seen it go right to the ground through drain tubes, as intended.

BUT STILL GETTING WET CARPET! What do I check next?

(To be clear, this is water collecting BEHIND the passenger seat.)

90 percent that it is the window. Back by the rear of window and top. Was the top replaced? Mine was by previous owner and they screwed it all up, had water behind the seat and in the door pocket until I lifted up the top and figured out several places they attached the top to frame were pulling top out of shape. Relaxed it out and the leaks went away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:51 PM   #4

While on the subject of windows... is there a way to reesablish final height limit without disconnecting the battery? I swapped a steering wheel and totally forgot to reset my windows prior to moving them and I’m getting some wind noise I didn’t have prior. To the OP, this may apply to you as well, as it is possible the upper limit set wasn’t done, or done properly on your car.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:06 PM   #5

The ac condensate drain runs under the carpet in the front left of passenger compartment. Could be leaking. There’s also several plastic plugs under the car that could have popped off
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:37 AM   #6

Garage
Along with the drains around the battey tray, under the front cowl. Remove the covers arou d the battery tray to check those drains.