Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #1

right side vent damage

High speed vibrations keep causing my right side vent to come loose. It appears that the inside forward lower corner tab is broken in in one spot. Can anyone shoot me a picture of what it should look like so that I can consider plastic welding or 3D printing something that could take the place of the broken tab. I would also consider breaking off a piece of an old side vent and gluing it on where needed.

Can anyone shoot me a pictue of the inside of their side vent such that I can figure out what I'm missing?

Last edited by jaykay; 11-10-2018 at 08:56 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:00 PM   #2

Okay found some images......looks like I am missing a rubber gasket as well or is that only present on the driver's side?

Will this type of plastic support welding or is expoxy the only option? I am thinking of getting a used vent and attempting to break off the parts of the tab I need.

Why? Painting of this thing will be pricy; I also have modified it with a mesh insert.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:21 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
There's no rubber gasket.

Welding would work fine, but you run the risk of deforming the plastic on the visible side. I'd stick with epoxy.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:20 PM   #4

If you are going to try surgery it would be best to cut off the remaining old piece and remove the replacement as one piece. You could then epoxy or possibly weld then and would probably result in a better repair.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:54 PM   #5

Thanks.....all good advice!

A graft of all one piece might be the way to go for sure .........when I get hold of a donor I will make a call.......the only downside is postioning of the whole thing.

From what I can see in pictures it is only a small tab section on the horizontal that engages the body

It is amazing what can vibrate and come loose.......when I rode bikes I lock wired everything....

Last edited by jaykay; 11-09-2018 at 01:57 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:14 PM   #6

Just for information I was able to harvest a tab from an old crappy side vent....I think I will have to go for one that is in better condition.....so it can be done.....just have to be able to get the right gap tolerance upon grafting it on.

PM me if you have an old right side vent you would like to get rid of.....and or the newer style support frames

One interesting thing I might try and use the 03 04 support frames (moded) to stabilize my heavy meshed pieces....since they are open unlike my 00 originals. I had to dump them when I meshed them.....the lack of support may have contributed the tab breaking