Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2006, 03:43 PM   #1

Top Liner Hooks

As stated in a previous post, both top liner hooks on my car have been unlatched since I bought the car used. This afternoon I drove over to Pioneer Porsche in San Diego and spoke with Garth Jones in sales who graciously opened the top on a 986 he had on the lot to show me where the little plastic hooks were attached to the body. Mine are now attached.

Open the top part way so you can look down behind the B pillar where you’ll see a small, shiny pin / cylinder exactly the diameter of the plastic hook. To gain access I removed the B pillar carpet secured by a small Phillips screw at the bottom and an 8mm (head) sized screw at the top. The panel pulls up and out. I didn’t completely remove it but just pushed it out of the way a bit. The plastic hook fits over the pin front to back and sits on the inboard side of the pin. There’s a plastic piece already fitted to the pin that holds another elastic strap coming up from the bottom and the hook fits between the plastic piece and the inboard edge of the pin. Just move the plastic holder towards the outside of the car with a screwdriver.

The pin is about 6 – 8 inches below the top of the car door and I tried everything I had: screwdrivers, hemostats etc and finally made my own tool out of quarter inch brass tubing. Hook the tool into the top of the plastic hook in the slot holding the elastic strap and after twisting and turning a bit both hooks were seated. I don’t know how these hooks became undone but at least they can be put back in place with a bit of effort on your part.

This is my first attempt at posting pictures so bear with me…

No pictures were uploaded so I'm doing something wrong. If anyone wants photos just email me.

Keith

Last edited by Keith Newby; 09-09-2006 at 03:47 PM. Reason: photos not uploaded
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:01 AM   #2

I had exactly the same issue on my drivers side (UK). I did just as you did, hood to service position and remove pastic panel. I then just used a set of long nosed pliers, job done in 5 minutes.
davej_anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:41 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I sent you a Private message with my email in it, i want to see the pictures of where it attaches

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote