Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #1

Oil level sensor readings

I have been having some trouble with the readings on the instrument cluster for the oil level on my 2001 Boxster . Since I've owned this for the last month when I turn the key the light cycles through and reads as overfilled ( all lights on indicator light up ) , which I know it isn't based on my manual check of the oil level with the dip stick. Today I put a new battery in the car and went through the initial 60 seconds on and 10 seconds off battery disconnect routine with the key. For the first time since I've owned the car it read correctly. I just went out and tried it again and the oil level read below minimum ( the engine wasn't warm)..I then tried again and now it's back to it's old habit of reading overfilled as all the lights light up after it cycles through for a few seconds. I've read a few posts from my search and see that most of the time it seems to be the cluster , wiring or even the ignition switch and not the sensor itself. It's not a huge deal but it would be good to have it working. Any suggestions on where to start or if anyone has had these symptoms and found a fix would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone just replaced the sensor to remidy the problem?

Thanks!

jarjar is offline   Reply With Quote