Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2018, 06:20 PM   #1
Top down

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Pastor T
2000 986 emergency trunk release rear

I’ve tried to read all the threads, but still can’t find help. Me key fob button for the rear trunk works, but something in the lock is not working. Now today the unthinkable happened. My mechanical cable unlock broke. Now I’m locked out. I’ve have taken everything off the back of my car looking for the emergency release cable. I have not found it.
HELPLESS in Sacramento.

Last edited by Pastor T; 08-28-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Pastor T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:25 AM   #2

Garage
You may have to remove the liner by the left rear wheel to get to the release cable. Once open, unscrew the two screws covering the rear trunk latch. If the cable is broken, you may be able to braid in some picture wire to the cable then wrap the picture wire around the release latch. Worked for me. Porsche dealer wanted $800 to replace the cable. Check the cable at the rear latch first. Others may have a better solution, but as said, it worked in my case. Good luck.
Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:02 PM   #3
Top down

Garage
Blackcloud; Here is the rest of the story. I spent two day trying to find the cable. The bottom line is there was NO emergency release cable. Period. I removed the entire back end of my car looking for it. Bumper, heat shields, spoiler, everything. I explored with a long flex camera. I went in the little rubber vents that are at both extreme ends of the trunk. I reached so far in that I got my arm stuck and thought I was going to have to call 911. I finally cut an access door in the trunk wall behind where the license would be. I reached in a was able to manually release the trunk. I eventually found the broken cable for the electronic actuator that the key fob uses. I also found the normal cable that runs from the drivers door sill that was broken. But NO emergency cable, anywhere. I will be replacing both the cables and in addition I will be installing an emergency release cable that I will run out the back of the trunk wall somewhere that is accessible. I am not quite sure why mine did not have the emergency cable. So to everyone reading this. If your electronic actuator quits working fix it immediately. You never know when the manual cable will also fail. If they both fail at the same time you WILL be cutting a hole in your trunk wall.:troll:
Old 08-28-2018, 11:58 PM   #4

Here's a useful tip...run the trunk emergency release cable to where the driver bumperette attaches to the car. Then keep the appropriate trox driver in the frunk so you can remove the bumperrtte should you need access to the emergency release. Saves a ton of time...makes access a 2 minute job..ok maybe 3. I did this the last time I removed the bumper cover.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
Top down

Garage
Boy you have that right Thom. This will NEVER happen again. Great tip. I was wondering where to store the emergency cable for easy access. Thanks.
VT