Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2020, 06:19 AM   #1

Garage
2004 3.2 to L&N 3.6 or 3.8

Morning Guys

I have a 2004 Boxster SE 3.2 that needs the motor to be re done.

I have decided to re build and send the block haves to L&N to have them install Nickies, JE pistons and over size either to a 3.6 or 3.8
(no call back from Flat 6)

I would love to hear from all who have done this!

I have never done a rebuild so I'm looking for all the help/advise I can get get, and then some ��. (I have help doing the actually assembly)

I would love to copy somebodies successful build...

One scenario for a 3.6

- JE light weight pistons
- carillo rods
- ARP rod and head bolts
- change to 2006 3.2 larger heads and porting
- switch to a 74mm TB
- IMS upgrade
- low temperature thermostat
- L&N spin on filter
- New mapping
- cat delete and headers

The start of unknowns and questions
- compression
- cams
- What else do I need to do, I'm sure there's lots?
- recommendations on parts, manufactures etc

Options for the 3.8

- ????

Thanks to jsceash for his help so far ...

My Beast 2004 Boxster SE #0174
- 3.8 with all the internal goodies, Under-mount Pulley, IPD Plenum, 996 Intake, Softronic Tune, 987 Factory Sport Exhaust, skid plates, IMS solution, Ohlins R&T, RSS Toe Links, Camber Plates, Michelin Pilot Super Sport on all 4 corners, Alpine Double Din c/w new speakers & amps.
Muskoka Minute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:29 AM   #2
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

There is...

....a 986/996 engine building group on Facebook. Try there. Good luck.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 02:10 PM   #3

I had my 2003 S 3.2 rebuilt as a 3.6 with LN Nickies. I went with the 3.6 rather than the 3.8 as I wasn't changing cylinder heads or cams. I also read something about the ratio of connecting rod length to bore and stroke, and that the 3.6 version of the M96 engine had the best overall ratio here, which was good for avoiding bore scoring. Smokey Yunick was quoted as saying stuffing the biggest damned rod that will fit into an engine. Of course I can't find that article now. My engine case was sent to LN in late July/early August 2018 and it came back to my indy shop in late January/early February 2019. I don't know what turnaround time they are saying now, but LN was saying it was an 8 week turnaround time when my case was sent to them. The issue is the plater who applies the Nickasil plating to the bores, there are only a very few platers in the country that do this precision plating and they all have a backlog of car, motorcycle and snowmobile engines. I would say to expect a six month turnaround for the LN Nickies and be happy if it's less.

For my build I used ARP rod bolts and the LN IMS Solution. Everything else was stock. I already had the underdrive pulley and Mantis Sport deep sump. Since my rebuild was due to an IMSB failure, new lifters and a new oil cooler were used. Those parts were impossible to verify as completely free of any small metal particles. The rest of my build included a 987 airbox, Fabspeed Sport Headers with catalysts, Circuit Werks mid pipes without catalysts and the stock muffler, a custom Softronic tune and some dyno time to get the custom tune fine tuned. I didn't change my intake plenum or throttle body and have 254.7 HP at the rear hubs on a Dynapack dynamometer.

If you are going to change cylinder heads and cams, you may want to look at the 996 3.6 heads and cams. I understand the the 996 variocam system adjusts valve lift as well as valve timing. That would involve some addtional tuning, some engine wiring modifications and maybe a change of the ECU too. The 996 intake manifold has longer runners but you will have to lower the engine to have clearance on the top. I'm not sure if the stock 3.2 oil cooler is the largest one available, but you should get the largest one that fits. If you use headers without catalysts, they are a lot cheaper and breathe better. I chose the ones I did to avoid any check engine light issues and the car has been great in that respect.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:55 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
I had my 2003 S 3.2 rebuilt as a 3.6 with LN Nickies. I went with the 3.6 rather than the 3.8 as I wasn't changing cylinder heads or cams. I also read something about the ratio of connecting rod length to bore and stroke, and that the 3.6 version of the M96 engine had the best overall ratio here, which was good for avoiding bore scoring. Smokey Yunick was quoted as saying stuffing the biggest damned rod that will fit into an engine. Of course I can't find that article now. My engine case was sent to LN in late July/early August 2018 and it came back to my indy shop in late January/early February 2019. I don't know what turnaround time they are saying now, but LN was saying it was an 8 week turnaround time when my case was sent to them. The issue is the plater who applies the Nickasil plating to the bores, there are only a very few platers in the country that do this precision plating and they all have a backlog of car, motorcycle and snowmobile engines. I would say to expect a six month turnaround for the LN Nickies and be happy if it's less.

For my build I used ARP rod bolts and the LN IMS Solution. Everything else was stock. I already had the underdrive pulley and Mantis Sport deep sump. Since my rebuild was due to an IMSB failure, new lifters and a new oil cooler were used. Those parts were impossible to verify as completely free of any small metal particles. The rest of my build included a 987 airbox, Fabspeed Sport Headers with catalysts, Circuit Werks mid pipes without catalysts and the stock muffler, a custom Softronic tune and some dyno time to get the custom tune fine tuned. I didn't change my intake plenum or throttle body and have 254.7 HP at the rear hubs on a Dynapack dynamometer.

If you are going to change cylinder heads and cams, you may want to look at the 996 3.6 heads and cams. I understand the the 996 variocam system adjusts valve lift as well as valve timing. That would involve some addtional tuning, some engine wiring modifications and maybe a change of the ECU too. The 996 intake manifold has longer runners but you will have to lower the engine to have clearance on the top. I'm not sure if the stock 3.2 oil cooler is the largest one available, but you should get the largest one that fits. If you use headers without catalysts, they are a lot cheaper and breathe better. I chose the ones I did to avoid any check engine light issues and the car has been great in that respect.

Thanks very much for the feed back.
- 3.8 with all the internal goodies, Under-mount Pulley, IPD Plenum, 996 Intake, Softronic Tune, 987 Factory Sport Exhaust, skid plates, IMS solution, Ohlins R&T, RSS Toe Links, Camber Plates, Michelin Pilot Super Sport on all 4 corners, Alpine Double Din c/w new speakers & amps.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:05 AM   #5

Garage
Nobody else has done this?
Would love to here more input��
Old 01-03-2021, 11:00 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka Minute View Post
Nobody else has done this?
Would love to here more input��
Pictures speak a thousand words :