Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2018, 10:19 AM   #1

Is it OK for an axle to get installed on the other side than the original side?

I am putting new boots and new grease (Redline CV-2 grease) in my 2000 Boxster S axles. The old grease was getting worn out and turning to liquid and coming out the vent hole on the end, and on the driver side, it was starting to seep out of the big end of the CV Boot.

On the 2000 Boxster S with 6 speed, the two sides of the axle are the same part number, and I had heard you can swap the axles side to side to increase the longevity, since by reversing the rotation the load is going to a part that has previously only seen load when driving in reverse.

My other thought is that I have a spare set of axles from a 2000 S and I don't know which one was on which side so if I find a problem (lots of bad wear and pitting for example in my original axle) and I have to go with a replacement axle, it is 50/50 that I will be putting it on the different side than the original side and I was wondering if that would be a problem? If I end up having to go with one of my replacement axles, I am going to rebuild it to, and so maybe I can tell the original orientation by the wear on the inner CV Joint?

Is there any problem (or benefit) to running an axle over on the other side?

Thanks

Steve

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:39 AM   #2

If they are the same length, Id say swap them and don't worry.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:36 AM   #3

During my rebuild they looked really good so I just put them back on the same sides, and just got back from 2 days at Road Atlanta where they did great, and no grease coming out the axle vent hole

When I am in the mood for self torture I may put new grease and boots on my spare axles and sell them.

Also I found an error [Edit: per Woody below, the 6 speed always had M10, it was the 5 speed and tip that upgraded in 2003] in the Bentley manual. It says:

Quote:
A new drive axle was introduced for the 2003 model year. Up
through 2002, drive axles used M8 bolts to secure the Inner
constant velocity joint. Beginning in 2003, a transitional style M8
bolt equipped with an M10 guide was used, allowing the later style
joints (M10 bolt bores) to be bolted to earlier style drive flange (M8
bolt bores). Over the course of the 2003 model year, Porsche
completed the transition to M10 bolts and drive flanges.
Note that there are two different torque values depending on whether you have M8 or M10 inner CV Bolts:
  • M8 - 39 Nm (29 ft-lb)
  • M10 - 81 Nm (60 ft-lb)

When I had my axles out in early 2016 I torqued them up to only 29 ft-lb because I "knew" I had the M8 bolts, since I had a 2000.

This time, I decided to get new bolts, and learned that I have the M10 bolts.. Yikes! So now they are torqued properly to 60 ft-lb. I guess I am lucky they didn't come loose last time, it must be a testament to the cleaning I did and the loctite so they held at the "lower" torque...

All in all, not a fun job, but I am glad I did it and that it is over

Last edited by steved0x; 06-14-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:00 AM   #4

6 speed's always use the M10. It was the tip and five speed that upgraded in 2003
Old 06-14-2018, 08:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I am putting new boots and new grease (Redline CV-2 grease) in my 2000 Boxster S axles. The old grease was getting worn out and turning to liquid and coming out the vent hole on the end, and on the driver side, it was starting to seep out of the big end of the CV Boot.

On the 2000 Boxster S with 6 speed, the two sides of the axle are the same part number, and I had heard you can swap the axles side to side to increase the longevity, since by reversing the rotation the load is going to a part that has previously only seen load when driving in reverse.

My other thought is that I have a spare set of axles from a 2000 S and I don't know which one was on which side so if I find a problem (lots of bad wear and pitting for example in my original axle) and I have to go with a replacement axle, it is 50/50 that I will be putting it on the different side than the original side and I was wondering if that would be a problem? If I end up having to go with one of my replacement axles, I am going to rebuild it to, and so maybe I can tell the original orientation by the wear on the inner CV Joint?

Is there any problem (or benefit) to running an axle over on the other side?

Thanks

Steve
Absolutely do not do this. Over time, all axles take a twist; if you painted a thin white stripe down a new axle and watched it over time, you would see what I mean. Reversing the axle rotation "unwinds" this twist and can lead to problems. A lot of track rats put lines on new axles and then toss them when the twist reaches near 90 degrees. Keep running them in the same rotation.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
6 speed's always use the M10. It was the tip and five speed that upgraded in 2003
Ahh good to know, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Absolutely do not do this. Over time, all axles take a twist; if you painted a thin white stripe down a new axle and watched it over time, you would see what I mean. Reversing the axle rotation "unwinds" this twist and can lead to problems. A lot of track rats put lines on new axles and then toss them when the twist reaches near 90 degrees. Keep running them in the same rotation.
Even better to know, thank you!!!