Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2006, 12:56 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
How to remove/install oil seperator

After getting codes P1124 & P1126 from my 99' I did some research. The codes indicated an air leak,now I have a starting point.

After checking all connections and inspecting the engine bay area I notice a "misty" build up on several areas surrounding the oil seperator. Upon thorough inspection of the oil seperator I could not find a leak or loose connection anywhere. I removed the "j" tube connecting the oil seperator to the throttle body and I found a small build up of oil?! This can't be good as you don't want oil getting into the throttle body and into the combustion chamber!

After making a call to Sunset and $108.50(Shipped) later the parts arrived. I ordered a oil seperator(w/ bellow),part # 996-107-023-04 and the upper "j" tube,part #996-107-145-06.

*My old oil seperator was the original design,part #996-107-023-01,which means it has been updated 3 times,something for all 2.5L owners to consider as our cars are older. I found two difference on the oil seperators just from looking at it,the bellow was redesigned and the connecting "bays" for the tubes have been redesigned as well. I did not even attempt to take it apart so who knows how it has been redesigned internally.

Now for the install,put aside 2-4 to make sure you have enough time. I took 3 hours and I'm a "weekend mechanic" if that.

Tools;
Jack(w/ hockeypuck),jack stand,tools to remove the rear wheel,10mm wrench & hose clamp pliers. I found the "Powerbuilt" hose clamp pliers from Kragen worked perfectly.($15.99)

*I was recommended to buy a screw type clamp for the bellow,it is much easier to remove in case the bellow ever cracks again. If you do this you will need a flat head screwdriver to tighten the clamp.

How to remove the oil seperator;

- Disconnect the "j" tube from the throttle body,and then from the oil seperator.

- Disconnect the tube from the middle of the oil seperator pointing towards the outside of the car.(Mine didn't come loose easily,I wiggled it alot and eventually it came off)

- Here is where the "fun" begins, "break loose" the rear passenger wheels,jack up the car,remove the rear wheel. Jack the car up high enough for you to fit under the wheel well. Place a jack stand in place just incase something happens to your jack.(You must be able to access and see the bellow and bolts holding the oil seperator.)

- Look inside and to the upper right area of the engine bay from the rear wheel well. Find the two 10mm bolts and the "accordian" style bellow. Remove the two 10mm bolts.

- Now this step can be a BIG pain if you do not have the hose clamp pliers. While on the ground looking through the wheel well,loosen the bottom clamp and push up to lift it off its "home".

- Now release some pressure from the jack enough to lower the car some,so you can give a good grip on the oil seperator. Now from the top of the engine bay pull the oil seperator outwards to release the last connection.

- Remove the oil seperator from the engine bay.

Congrats now the hard part is over!

- Position the oil seperator in its home,it may take some turning and wigglying but it can be done.

-Connect the "elbow" shaped tube first,don't be afriad to push it in alittle.

- Now re-raise the car up high enough w/ the jack so you can sneak under. Put the lower part of the "accordian" shaped bellow on its home and tighten.

- Put the two bolts back on that hold the oil seperator in place and tighten.

- Get out from under the car and put your rear wheel back on. Remove the jack stand and lower the car.

- Now from ontop of the engine bay connect the middle hose that you removed.

- Connect your new "J" tube to the oil seperator and then to the throttle body.

- If you had a CEL its time to clear it and see if this was the problem. Fire up your car and watch for anything abnormal.

- If all is well put all the tops on the engine bay and reconnect your top. Torque the wheel studs to 96lbs. and take it for a spin.

The attached pictures are of the hose plier clamps I bought and a comparision of the older and newer style oil seperator.

Hope this helps in the future.

A special thanks to Doug DeVetter for input and advice.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 08-30-2006 at 01:09 AM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:37 PM   #2

Blinkwatt, thanks for sharing that with us. There's nothing like getting dirty with the car you love.
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:44 AM   #3

Excellent post Blinkwatt!!

A note for you 2000+ owners, it's a little different from Blinkwatt's instructions and much easier. The bolts and bellows are all reachable from the top after the '99 MY.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 04:37 AM   #4

cap facing down?

I am doing this repair this morning, my existing seperator has cap like top facing horizontal new one seems to force cap vertical any ideas, 1997 Boxster tiptronic
thanks

uscarrera is offline   Reply With Quote