Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2018, 10:01 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: CO
Posts: 969
Has anybody, or is anybody running this exhaust?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Borla-140115-Cat-Back-Exhaust-System-00-04-Porsche-986-Boxster-S-3-2L-MT-RWD/202315083805?fits=Make%3APorsche%7CModel%3ABoxster %7CSubmodel%3AS&epid=662693778&hash=item2f1aeb301d:g:5uAAAOSw0lVa~HO-

Itís a Borla system, which is always good, had one on my 911. However, for the Box Iím concerned about drone. Anyone have any experience? Thanks!

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:28 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 894
I am not running one, but read a couple of post stating it had some drone. Maybe someone can confirm or deny.
__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:52 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Oldcarguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: North Eastern US
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Borla-140115-Cat-Back-Exhaust-System-00-04-Porsche-986-Boxster-S-3-2L-MT-RWD/202315083805?fits=Make%3APorsche%7CModel%3ABoxster %7CSubmodel%3AS&epid=662693778&hash=item2f1aeb301d:g:5uAAAOSw0lVa~HO-

It’s a Borla system, which is always good, had one on my 911. However, for the Box I’m concerned about drone. Anyone have any experience? Thanks!
I just removed a Borla system from my 2004 3.2 6 spd (installed by the PO). For my ears, very heavy drone from ~2,500 to 3,000 rpm as installed on my car.

My Borla was very well made, relatively light weight, bolted up perfectly and sounded great. I just could not live with the drone. I was running it with the secondary cats in place. I replaced it with a FVD Brombacher Sound Version and am very happy now.

I did toy with the idea of adding a balance pipe between the outlets of the Borla mufflers to try and tame the drone but never got around to it.
__________________
Rgds, Fred
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 05-18-2018 at 03:15 AM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:04 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 6,087
Garage
Any two can exhaust is going to drone without a crossover pipe.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:37 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dahlonega , Georgia
Posts: 1,195
I have a GHL two can muffler on the beast many folks say the GHL is the king of drone and this one did drone . But the overall sound was and is glorious . So I purchased some Car Chemistry baffle inserts along with their exhaust steel wool . I don't remember the exact dimensions any more but in one tip I installed a 6 " long baffle and in the other tip an 8 " long baffle ( roughly ) . The idea is to alternate the sound waves so they help cancel each out . Both baffles were wrapped with the steel wool . Each is held in place with one rivet . I can honestly say this has eliminated 95 % + of the drone across the RPM range . My exhaust is now very easy to live with and still has that fantastic sound at higher revs . And on Jakes dyno we made 280 hp at the wheels so it seems to flow just fine .
__________________
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:29 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: CO
Posts: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
I just removed a Borla system from my 2004 3.2 6 spd (installed by the PO). For my ears, very heavy drone from ~2,500 to 3,000 rpm as installed on my car.

My Borla was very well made, relatively light weight, bolted up perfectly and sounded great. I just could not live with the drone. I was running it with the secondary cats in place. I replaced it with a FVD Brombacher Sound Version and am very happy now.

I did toy with the idea of adding a balance pipe between the outlets of the Borla mufflers to try and tame the drone but never got around to it.
Ah yes, could't remember if yours was a Borla. Too bad. They do look nice! I'll just wait for a bit for an FVD!
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: CO
Posts: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Any two can exhaust is going to drone without a crossover pipe.
PW, what does the crossover pipe do that prevents the drone?
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:17 PM   #8
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 6,087
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
PW, what does the crossover pipe do that prevents the drone?
It allows the opposing sound waves to interfere and partially cancel each other out.
When done right, the crossover can eliminate most drone without affecting the overall sound of the exhaust.


.

Last edited by particlewave; 05-18-2018 at 10:22 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:19 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: CO
Posts: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
It allows the opposing sound waves to interfere and partially cancel each other out.
When done right, the crossover can eliminate most drone without affecting the overall sound of the exhaust.


.
Cool, thanks!

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page