Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #1

987 / 2005 S Exhaust Options? Soul Performance?

First off, I have done a search. Unless I'm doing something wrong, I can't find anything related. Second off I hate search, I never find anything.

With that out of the way... I've sold my 986 late last summer, and replaced with a 987 (this time an S; photo attached; lobster forks are just killer). I could probably write a whole thing about the two cars but this thread is about exhaust questions. What I will say is: I miss the 986 car a lot, but not the styling. My 986 (non-S no less) brake feel was better; absolutely rock solid, and the car felt lighter, more playful and just plain purer. The engine note was actually better too (well stock form at least). The 987 looks beefier and is the divide point between an old Porsche and a modern Porsche. The 987 is ultimately the more capable and refined car, but there are huge merits for both. If anyone faces this dilemma and has the garage space I would recommend keeping both.

Ok, with that then out of the way... I am looking for an exhaust. We have smog where I am (Ontario), so I need to ensure I am good there. I can't show up for smog and find out the exhaust trips a fail on the OBD test they do. Can't happen. PS I like to think of OBD as ODB (Ol' Dirty Bastard).

So from what I believe, the 987 (2005 S) has a primary and secondary cat setup like the 986. I think I can get a cat-back setup that keeps the primaries and stays smog legal (comment if I am mistaken).

So then what exhaust? My criteria:
- keep the flat-6 wail intact
- cracks and pops are highly encouraged (doesn't seem hugely inherently a Porsche characteristic of cars of this era, but I love that s#it)
- ideally without drone but a little I'm fine with, I don't daily this car
- not obnoxiously loud while tooling around, but something that has some bark when you get on it
- more value the better, but for this car there's no eBay special quality stuff going on
- I'm not looking for headers and cats, that's too much $'s to put into the car. I would rather reinvest that money to look for a 2009 non-IMS car
- Think 981 sound with a PSE (that is perfection in my opinion)

Soul Performance:
I came across this company. They make a slick looking system. I really like this satin finish (looks very OEM racing effort). Anyone have any experience with this brand, sound, quality, customer service, etc.? Input?
Soul Performance Products - Performance Exhaust Systems and HeadersSoul Performance Products

Additional notes:
- just FYI, I have the sport chrono package so I can wire up a valved system to the existing sport button I have (I believe). Valved systems more expensive, but I wouldn't fully rule them out
- I live in Canada. Any Canadian perspective is appreciated, as you well know that there is the foreign exchange pressure, and also shipping to Canada always piles on costs and makes things prohibitive. So companies that are friendly to ship or who already deal directly north of the border are good to know about

Thanks in advance everyone for your input. The community support is highly valued.

Jim Rockford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rockford View Post
First off, I have done a search. Unless I'm doing something wrong, I can't find anything related. Second off I hate search, I never find anything.

With that out of the way... I've sold my 986 late last summer, and replaced with a 987 (this time an S; photo attached; lobster forks are just killer). I could probably write a whole thing about the two cars but this thread is about exhaust questions. What I will say is: I miss the 986 car a lot, but not the styling. My 986 (non-S no less) brake feel was better; absolutely rock solid, and the car felt lighter, more playful and just plain purer. The engine note was actually better too (well stock form at least). The 987 looks beefier and is the divide point between an old Porsche and a modern Porsche. The 987 is ultimately the more capable and refined car, but there are huge merits for both. If anyone faces this dilemma and has the garage space I would recommend keeping both.

Ok, with that then out of the way... I am looking for an exhaust. We have smog where I am (Ontario), so I need to ensure I am good there. I can't show up for smog and find out the exhaust trips a fail on the OBD test they do. Can't happen. PS I like to think of OBD as ODB (Ol' Dirty Bastard).

So from what I believe, the 987 (2005 S) has a primary and secondary cat setup like the 986. I think I can get a cat-back setup that keeps the primaries and stays smog legal (comment if I am mistaken).

So then what exhaust? My criteria:

- keep the flat-6 wail intact

- cracks and pops are highly encouraged (doesn't seem hugely inherently a Porsche characteristic of cars of this era, but I love that s#it)

- ideally without drone but a little I'm fine with, I don't daily this car

- not obnoxiously loud while tooling around, but something that has some bark when you get on it

- more value the better, but for this car there's no eBay special quality stuff going on

- I'm not looking for headers and cats, that's too much $'s to put into the car. I would rather reinvest that money to look for a 2009 non-IMS car

- Think 981 sound with a PSE (that is perfection in my opinion)

Soul Performance:

I came across this company. They make a slick looking system. I really like this satin finish (looks very OEM racing effort). Anyone have any experience with this brand, sound, quality, customer service, etc.? Input?

Soul Performance Products - Performance Exhaust Systems and HeadersSoul Performance Products

Additional notes:

- just FYI, I have the sport chrono package so I can wire up a valved system to the existing sport button I have (I believe). Valved systems more expensive, but I wouldn't fully rule them out

- I live in Canada. Any Canadian perspective is appreciated, as you well know that there is the foreign exchange pressure, and also shipping to Canada always piles on costs and makes things prohibitive. So companies that are friendly to ship or who already deal directly north of the border are good to know about

Thanks in advance everyone for your input. The community support is highly valued.

Certainly not the cheapest option but you can’t go wrong with Fabspeed. Tried several exhaust systems when Flat6 built my engine and far and away the best performance wise, plus the sound is great without too much drone. My wife thinks it’s too loud tho,
So she doesn’t drive it. Always a plus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2018, 05:15 PM   #3
Hawaiian Driver

I also own a 2005 987 S and wasn't satisfied with the exhaust. While pricey I
put a Fabspeed maxflo exhaust on, and it really made a huge difference making the
car much more enjoyable. The other mod was installing a third radiator to help with cooling since it's always warm here
Old 05-13-2018, 08:33 PM   #4

Another option with positive comments are fvd brombacher sound version exhaust.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:23 PM   #5
Lover of all things bacon

I just bought a Soul full exhaust w/headers. Not on the car yet. I bought this because they claimed no drone. Checked with the guys at Boost Brothers Garage and they reported no drone on their 987 CS.

I will be able to validate in June once my engine swap is done.

2005 Boxster S
2003 Mercedes Benz SL55 AMG
LesMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:09 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Another option with positive comments are fvd brombacher sound version exhaust.
I have this muffler for my 986 along with 2ndary CAT bypass pipes, and it sounds awesome. No drone, pure flat 6 sound, very reasonable at idle and highway cruising.
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:04 AM   #7

For the guys running the Brombacher. How long was your actual wait to receive it?

I just got the quote and placed an order with an estimate that I would see it in 4-5 weeks.
2ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ata View Post
For the guys running the Brombacher. How long was your actual wait to receive it?

I just got the quote and placed an order with an estimate that I would see it in 4-5 weeks.
For the ‘sound version’ for my 2004, actual delivery was 2 weeks from order date with FVD. They had it in stock in Germany but not in their US warehouse. FVD did not direct ship from Germany. They shipped from Germany to their Florida location, then Florida shipped to me in NYS.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
For the ‘sound version’ for my 2004, actual delivery was 2 weeks from order date with FVD. They had it in stock in Germany but not in their US warehouse. FVD did not direct ship from Germany. They shipped from Germany to their Florida location, then Florida shipped to me in NYS.
Hopefully...... I get lucky and your shipping time is closer to what I end up with. Thanks.
2ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #10

Talk to Alec @ Fabspeed. He knows very well about shipping to Canada and can help with reducing duty. Got my headers & catback from him and I'm very happy with it.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ata View Post
Hopefully...... I get lucky and your shipping time is closer to what I end up with. Thanks.
I emailed Rhonda, she told me about 4 to 5 weeks to get it from Germany. She said they usally have in stock but are out now so they have to order it.

NHP is out of the secondary cat for the 986 also site says end of june for those.

Saw somebody with a fadspeed ehaust for sale here on the forum in Canada I think.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #12

if you are just after sound, the pipe that crosses-over between the two muffler sections is sleeved, and you can adjust the sleeve to improve exhaust sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oram5FCWM18
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:44 PM   #13

For me collecting parts to upgrade. Fvd exhaust, nhp bypass, software, then plenum throttle body, and update software tune. So looking for more than just sound.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:06 PM   #14

Quote:
For me collecting parts to upgrade. Fvd exhaust, nhp bypass, software, then plenum throttle body, and update software tune. So looking for more than just sound.
apologies for any confusion - i was replying to the OP. the mod i noted does not apply to a 986.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
apologies for any confusion - i was replying to the OP. the mod i noted does not apply to a 986.
No problem, I enjoy the discussions! Learning alot from you guys.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Cunningr,

I saw you 'desired upgrades list' and couldn't help it to mention that I have for sale a TechArt "sound system" exhaust, an IPB Plenum w/GT3 throttle body, a set of KW-V3 coil overs (overhauled by KW-V3 less than 10k miles ago), Tarett sway bar and toe links (w/bump steer compensators) and a OS Giken LSD that is already off the market on his way to a member (I will let him post his comments after he installs the LSD).

However, an issue I see here is that you live in Spain ..lol

PS: (consolidated ocean shipment..?) We do it all the time between Japan and the USA
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Cunningr,

I saw you 'desired upgrades list' and couldn't help it to mention that I have for sale a TechArt "sound system" exhaust, an IPB Plenum w/GT3 throttle body, a set of KW-V3 coil overs (overhauled by KW-V3 less than 10k miles ago), Tarett sway bar and toe links (w/bump steer compensators) and a OS Giken LSD that is already off the market on his way to a member (I will let him post his comments after he installs the LSD).

However, an issue I see here is that you live in Spain ..lol

PS: (consolidated ocean shipment..?) We do it all the time between Japan and the USA
Might be interested in some items, not the coilovers not going that far. Would you mail to an APO box?
Old 10-07-2018, 06:53 AM   #18

Sorry to resurrect this one but still haven’t pulled the trigger. Car is going into winter storage now so I certainly hope to have the decision made and the part awaiting install next spring. Also to recap, this is for a 2005 987 S.

Soul is off the list. Price is good, the looks are outstanding but of all the clips i’ve watched the sound is shrill and upper frequency. Sounds exotic but more Italian exotic.

FVD tips are awesome. I like how they poke way out past the bodywork opening and the sizing and spacing is very Porsche in execution. The sound is absolutely spot on but I am very worried that there isn’t enough volume of sound (even with the “sound” version).

Which brings me to the Borla. The look of the components are a little more function over form, which is fine really, but the tips are not exactly ideal (a little slant cut and they flush up too tight to the bodywork) I can live with them though if the sound is aligned with what I am after. I have a silver car so I may paint them black; if I end up going Borla I will post that process and pics of the result.

Ultimately, does anyone have experience / feedback on the loudness of these two systems? I don’t daily the car but I don’t want it obnoxiously loud. I’m the other hand I had an RX-7 with an exhaust that I always wish had more bark. I am leaning FVD but I am going to have buyers remorse if it turns out too tame.

Thanks everyone

Jim Rockford is offline   Reply With Quote