Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Toronto, Ontario. Canada
Posts: 73
987 / 2005 S Exhaust Options? Soul Performance?

First off, I have done a search. Unless I'm doing something wrong, I can't find anything related. Second off I hate search, I never find anything.

With that out of the way... I've sold my 986 late last summer, and replaced with a 987 (this time an S; photo attached; lobster forks are just killer). I could probably write a whole thing about the two cars but this thread is about exhaust questions. What I will say is: I miss the 986 car a lot, but not the styling. My 986 (non-S no less) brake feel was better; absolutely rock solid, and the car felt lighter, more playful and just plain purer. The engine note was actually better too (well stock form at least). The 987 looks beefier and is the divide point between an old Porsche and a modern Porsche. The 987 is ultimately the more capable and refined car, but there are huge merits for both. If anyone faces this dilemma and has the garage space I would recommend keeping both.

Ok, with that then out of the way... I am looking for an exhaust. We have smog where I am (Ontario), so I need to ensure I am good there. I can't show up for smog and find out the exhaust trips a fail on the OBD test they do. Can't happen. PS I like to think of OBD as ODB (Ol' Dirty Bastard).

So from what I believe, the 987 (2005 S) has a primary and secondary cat setup like the 986. I think I can get a cat-back setup that keeps the primaries and stays smog legal (comment if I am mistaken).

So then what exhaust? My criteria:
- keep the flat-6 wail intact
- cracks and pops are highly encouraged (doesn't seem hugely inherently a Porsche characteristic of cars of this era, but I love that s#it)
- ideally without drone but a little I'm fine with, I don't daily this car
- not obnoxiously loud while tooling around, but something that has some bark when you get on it
- more value the better, but for this car there's no eBay special quality stuff going on
- I'm not looking for headers and cats, that's too much $'s to put into the car. I would rather reinvest that money to look for a 2009 non-IMS car
- Think 981 sound with a PSE (that is perfection in my opinion)

Soul Performance:
I came across this company. They make a slick looking system. I really like this satin finish (looks very OEM racing effort). Anyone have any experience with this brand, sound, quality, customer service, etc.? Input?
Soul Performance Products - Performance Exhaust Systems and HeadersSoul Performance Products

Additional notes:
- just FYI, I have the sport chrono package so I can wire up a valved system to the existing sport button I have (I believe). Valved systems more expensive, but I wouldn't fully rule them out
- I live in Canada. Any Canadian perspective is appreciated, as you well know that there is the foreign exchange pressure, and also shipping to Canada always piles on costs and makes things prohibitive. So companies that are friendly to ship or who already deal directly north of the border are good to know about

Thanks in advance everyone for your input. The community support is highly valued.



Jim Rockford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:10 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: ga
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rockford View Post
First off, I have done a search. Unless I'm doing something wrong, I can't find anything related. Second off I hate search, I never find anything.



With that out of the way... I've sold my 986 late last summer, and replaced with a 987 (this time an S; photo attached; lobster forks are just killer). I could probably write a whole thing about the two cars but this thread is about exhaust questions. What I will say is: I miss the 986 car a lot, but not the styling. My 986 (non-S no less) brake feel was better; absolutely rock solid, and the car felt lighter, more playful and just plain purer. The engine note was actually better too (well stock form at least). The 987 looks beefier and is the divide point between an old Porsche and a modern Porsche. The 987 is ultimately the more capable and refined car, but there are huge merits for both. If anyone faces this dilemma and has the garage space I would recommend keeping both.



Ok, with that then out of the way... I am looking for an exhaust. We have smog where I am (Ontario), so I need to ensure I am good there. I can't show up for smog and find out the exhaust trips a fail on the OBD test they do. Can't happen. PS I like to think of OBD as ODB (Ol' Dirty Bastard).



So from what I believe, the 987 (2005 S) has a primary and secondary cat setup like the 986. I think I can get a cat-back setup that keeps the primaries and stays smog legal (comment if I am mistaken).



So then what exhaust? My criteria:

- keep the flat-6 wail intact

- cracks and pops are highly encouraged (doesn't seem hugely inherently a Porsche characteristic of cars of this era, but I love that s#it)

- ideally without drone but a little I'm fine with, I don't daily this car

- not obnoxiously loud while tooling around, but something that has some bark when you get on it

- more value the better, but for this car there's no eBay special quality stuff going on

- I'm not looking for headers and cats, that's too much $'s to put into the car. I would rather reinvest that money to look for a 2009 non-IMS car

- Think 981 sound with a PSE (that is perfection in my opinion)



Soul Performance:

I came across this company. They make a slick looking system. I really like this satin finish (looks very OEM racing effort). Anyone have any experience with this brand, sound, quality, customer service, etc.? Input?

Soul Performance Products - Performance Exhaust Systems and HeadersSoul Performance Products



Additional notes:

- just FYI, I have the sport chrono package so I can wire up a valved system to the existing sport button I have (I believe). Valved systems more expensive, but I wouldn't fully rule them out

- I live in Canada. Any Canadian perspective is appreciated, as you well know that there is the foreign exchange pressure, and also shipping to Canada always piles on costs and makes things prohibitive. So companies that are friendly to ship or who already deal directly north of the border are good to know about



Thanks in advance everyone for your input. The community support is highly valued.





Certainly not the cheapest option but you canít go wrong with Fabspeed. Tried several exhaust systems when Flat6 built my engine and far and away the best performance wise, plus the sound is great without too much drone. My wife thinks itís too loud tho,
So she doesnít drive it. Always a plus!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2000 Black 996 Aero, 2001 Forest Green Boxster S, 94 Midnight Blue 968 Cab, 1980 Pongee Beige 911SC Weissach Edition, 2004 BMW R1200CLC
ymkmkrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:15 PM   #3
Hawaiian Driver
 
Hawaiian Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Maui
Posts: 58
I also own a 2005 987 S and wasn't satisfied with the exhaust. While pricey I
put a Fabspeed maxflo exhaust on, and it really made a huge difference making the
car much more enjoyable. The other mod was installing a third radiator to help with cooling since it's always warm here
__________________
2005 Boxster S 6 Speed
Hawaiian Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:33 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 894
Another option with positive comments are fvd brombacher sound version exhaust.
__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:23 PM   #5
Lover of all things bacon
 
LesMurray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 36
I just bought a Soul full exhaust w/headers. Not on the car yet. I bought this because they claimed no drone. Checked with the guys at Boost Brothers Garage and they reported no drone on their 987 CS.

I will be able to validate in June once my engine swap is done.
__________________
-----------------------------------

2005 Boxster S
2003 Mercedes Benz SL55 AMG
LesMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:09 PM   #6
Registered User
 
MN 986's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: MN
Posts: 326
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Another option with positive comments are fvd brombacher sound version exhaust.
I have this muffler for my 986 along with 2ndary CAT bypass pipes, and it sounds awesome. No drone, pure flat 6 sound, very reasonable at idle and highway cruising.
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:04 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 33
For the guys running the Brombacher. How long was your actual wait to receive it?

I just got the quote and placed an order with an estimate that I would see it in 4-5 weeks.
2ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:06 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Oldcarguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: North Eastern US
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ata View Post
For the guys running the Brombacher. How long was your actual wait to receive it?

I just got the quote and placed an order with an estimate that I would see it in 4-5 weeks.
For the Ďsound versioní for my 2004, actual delivery was 2 weeks from order date with FVD. They had it in stock in Germany but not in their US warehouse. FVD did not direct ship from Germany. They shipped from Germany to their Florida location, then Florida shipped to me in NYS.
__________________
Rgds, Fred
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
For the Ďsound versioní for my 2004, actual delivery was 2 weeks from order date with FVD. They had it in stock in Germany but not in their US warehouse. FVD did not direct ship from Germany. They shipped from Germany to their Florida location, then Florida shipped to me in NYS.
Hopefully...... I get lucky and your shipping time is closer to what I end up with. Thanks.
2ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,656
Talk to Alec @ Fabspeed. He knows very well about shipping to Canada and can help with reducing duty. Got my headers & catback from him and I'm very happy with it.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:05 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ata View Post
Hopefully...... I get lucky and your shipping time is closer to what I end up with. Thanks.
I emailed Rhonda, she told me about 4 to 5 weeks to get it from Germany. She said they usally have in stock but are out now so they have to order it.

NHP is out of the secondary cat for the 986 also site says end of june for those.

Saw somebody with a fadspeed ehaust for sale here on the forum in Canada I think.
__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #12
Registered User
 
The Radium King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,987
if you are just after sound, the pipe that crosses-over between the two muffler sections is sleeved, and you can adjust the sleeve to improve exhaust sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oram5FCWM18
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:44 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 894
For me collecting parts to upgrade. Fvd exhaust, nhp bypass, software, then plenum throttle body, and update software tune. So looking for more than just sound.
__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:06 PM   #14
Registered User
 
The Radium King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
For me collecting parts to upgrade. Fvd exhaust, nhp bypass, software, then plenum throttle body, and update software tune. So looking for more than just sound.
apologies for any confusion - i was replying to the OP. the mod i noted does not apply to a 986.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
apologies for any confusion - i was replying to the OP. the mod i noted does not apply to a 986.
No problem, I enjoy the discussions! Learning alot from you guys.
__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:23 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
For me collecting parts to upgrade. Fvd exhaust, nhp bypass, software, then plenum throttle body, and update software tune. So looking for more than just sound.
Cunningr,

I saw you 'desired upgrades list' and couldn't help it to mention that I have for sale a TechArt "sound system" exhaust, an IPB Plenum w/GT3 throttle body, a set of KW-V3 coil overs (overhauled by KW-V3 less than 10k miles ago), Tarett sway bar and toe links (w/bump steer compensators) and a OS Giken LSD that is already off the market on his way to a member (I will let him post his comments after he installs the LSD).

However, an issue I see here is that you live in Spain ..lol


PS: (consolidated ocean shipment..?) We do it all the time between Japan and the USA
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:54 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Cunningr,

I saw you 'desired upgrades list' and couldn't help it to mention that I have for sale a TechArt "sound system" exhaust, an IPB Plenum w/GT3 throttle body, a set of KW-V3 coil overs (overhauled by KW-V3 less than 10k miles ago), Tarett sway bar and toe links (w/bump steer compensators) and a OS Giken LSD that is already off the market on his way to a member (I will let him post his comments after he installs the LSD).

However, an issue I see here is that you live in Spain ..lol


PS: (consolidated ocean shipment..?) We do it all the time between Japan and the USA
Might be interested in some items, not the coilovers not going that far. Would you mail to an APO box?
__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:53 AM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Toronto, Ontario. Canada
Posts: 73
Sorry to resurrect this one but still havenít pulled the trigger. Car is going into winter storage now so I certainly hope to have the decision made and the part awaiting install next spring. Also to recap, this is for a 2005 987 S.

Soul is off the list. Price is good, the looks are outstanding but of all the clips iíve watched the sound is shrill and upper frequency. Sounds exotic but more Italian exotic.

FVD tips are awesome. I like how they poke way out past the bodywork opening and the sizing and spacing is very Porsche in execution. The sound is absolutely spot on but I am very worried that there isnít enough volume of sound (even with the ďsoundĒ version).

Which brings me to the Borla. The look of the components are a little more function over form, which is fine really, but the tips are not exactly ideal (a little slant cut and they flush up too tight to the bodywork) I can live with them though if the sound is aligned with what I am after. I have a silver car so I may paint them black; if I end up going Borla I will post that process and pics of the result.

Ultimately, does anyone have experience / feedback on the loudness of these two systems? I donít daily the car but I donít want it obnoxiously loud. Iím the other hand I had an RX-7 with an exhaust that I always wish had more bark. I am leaning FVD but I am going to have buyers remorse if it turns out too tame.

Thanks everyone

Jim Rockford is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page