Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2018, 08:26 AM   #1

Fuel smell occasionally strong

Had a code that stated there was a large leak in the EVAP system. What are the usual suspects? I have a load of spares and hope to be able to shotgun the troubleshooting.
While i am in there i'll swap out the AOS for the relatively new one I have. Fuel smells this strong make me worry about vehicle fires and I wonder what it is doing to my A:F mix and the condition of my MAF sensor.

The car is a 2000 Boxster with a 2002 2.7 swapped in due to the IMS failure. Engine had a new IMS installed when the swap was done.

Other jobs on my to do list are to clean the rads, clear the drainage tubes (PO said they'd done that but I am always a sketic of work done by others :-D)

TheBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #2

Just went through the fuel smell thing. you are getting an evap error where I did not. Mine turned out simple, although it was the last place I looked - gas cap seal was deteriorated and partially missing. why I didn't get a code is beyond me!

I actually looked at the gas tank sending unit, from lots of posts they are prone to cracking. If you remove your battery and take off the cover over the tank I read where there will be some gas in the cover if it is cracked - mine was dry. Also read where there are some other things between the filler and tank that can crack as well - need to remove the inner fender cover to check there.

My advice, check the cap, then the tank, then the fender well. I felt pretty stupid when I looked at the underside of the cap after everything else, but since it wasn't throwing any codes I thought it would have been a cracked sending unit.

since95 is offline   Reply With Quote