Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2018, 09:58 PM   #1

Porsche Motorsport AOS... one and done?

Can’t seem to find any good word on this... given the robust nature of the Motorsport AOS, is this mod considered a “one and done” situation, or is it prone to failure just as the stocker? Seems it would be worth the extra $ for the hassle factor and not having to worry about “poof” there goes the AOS... again...

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:57 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

My understanding is that the motorsports AOS is quite robust (but I am not an expert on AOS's). The problem is cost.

Pelican lists the motorsports AOS at $737 while the standard AOS is $77.50 for Uro and $115 for Porsche.

Since replacing the AOS is a DIY job, I just replace my standard AOS every two years with the $77 part as preventative maintenance. I can do this for 20 years and still (generally) break even with the cost of the motorsports part.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
My understanding is that the motorsports AOS is quite robust (but I am not an expert on AOS's). The problem is cost.

Pelican lists the motorsports AOS at $737 while the standard AOS is $77.50 for Uro and $115 for Porsche.

Since replacing the AOS is a DIY job, I just replace my standard AOS every two years with the $77 part as preventative maintenance. I can do this for 20 years and still (generally) break even with the cost of the motorsports part.
Stone, yeah, that's a good point. Just chalk it up in the general maint category and call it good.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:01 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

The motorsports AOS might be worth it if you had to pay a shop to replace it. But even in that case, the total cost would be $800 or more for the part (the shop would likely mark up the price a bit) plus labor which would bring the total to over $1000. It might be a one and done solution but it would certainly be pricy.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
The motorsports AOS might be worth it if you had to pay a shop to replace it. But even in that case, the total cost would be $800 or more for the part (the shop would likely mark up the price a bit) plus labor which would bring the total to over $1000. It might be a one and done solution but it would certainly be pricy.
100 bucks and some labor, leaves a whole lot for tires, mods whatever. I think I will go the cheaper route for sure!