Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2006, 03:12 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Sparkplug Recommendation

Can someone recommend a good sparkplug? Im looking for something that keep my idle smooth. I dont race my car...although i drive alittle spirited from time to time....Prefer plugs i can buy at my local auto parts as appose to the Stealership.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
bmussatti

CJ_Boxster, stick with OEM. Here is a link:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=986plu&Category_Code=986maint

Do a search too, there is a lot of good info about Spark Plugs, other pricing that may be better than my link, and DYI's.

There might be other work you'll want to do during the SP change like the tubes and O rings.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:12 PM   #3

well arent tubes and o-rings jobs for oil leaks? cause my box leaks no oil at all.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 08-18-2006, 04:17 PM   #4

I'd want to install them this weekend, i called porsche in torrance ca, they quoted me 11 bucks for each plug!!!! anyone know a non-oem plug that would function equally well as the oem type?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
CJ_Boxster, stick with OEM. Here is a link:

[url]the SP change

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 08-18-2006, 04:25 PM   #5
bmussatti

Have you done any searches yet? Here is a good thread to read:

Which spark plug should I choose
Old 08-18-2006, 07:02 PM   #6

Hi,

As mentioned, stick with the OEMs. You can get them at NAPA for about $6. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:14 PM   #7

well i bought bosch platinum 2's, suport adviser at porsche told me its what they use but are lot labeled like the store bought type...but they are bosch plugs with 2 tips.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 08-19-2006, 09:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
well i bought bosch platinum 2's, suport adviser at porsche told me its what they use but are lot labeled like the store bought type...but they are bosch plugs with 2 tips.
Hi,

My advice is to return them. There have been several reports of the platinum tips breaking off and causing internal engine damage. I believe there is even a TSB out on it. I'll look for it and post the # if I find it. Platinum plugs do no more than any other plug except they cost more and have the potential to do harm. Hope this helps...

Old 08-19-2006, 09:28 AM   #9

ok ill do that, what the brand/type that i would get from napa?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 08-19-2006, 02:50 PM   #10
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

My advice is to return them. There have been several reports of the platinum tips breaking off and causing internal engine damage. I believe there is even a TSB out on it. I'll look for it and post the # if I find it. Platinum plugs do no more than any other plug except they cost more and have the potential to do harm. Hope this helps...

Platinum is used on spark plug electrodes to extend the service life of the plug. Platinum reduces electrode vaporization over conventional materials therefore increasing the number of firings before the ignition system can no longer support a sufficient spark. There is certainly a difference.

Having said that, there are also differences in the quality of any manufacturer's plug. By using OEM plugs, you are ensuring that the plug you use has been tested to perform to Porsche's specificaions, actually operates within the correct heat range, and will hopefully be manufactured a high quality standard.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Platinum is used on spark plug electrodes to extend the service life of the plug. Platinum reduces electrode vaporization over conventional materials therefore increasing the number of firings before the ignition system can no longer support a sufficient spark. There is certainly a difference.

Having said that, there are also differences in the quality of any manufacturer's plug. By using OEM plugs, you are ensuring that the plug you use has been tested to perform to Porsche's specificaions, actually operates within the correct heat range, and will hopefully be manufactured a high quality standard.
Hi,

Agreed on the extended service. But, most Platinum Plugs are marketed as a Performance enhancer which they certainly are not.

Platinum may extend the service life, but on a Performance Car you shouldn't be looking for that at all.

There are many reasons a Spark Plug can fail such as cracked electrodes or arcing and considering that they are perhaps the cheapest item to replace, especially on a Porsche, you should change your plugs every 25k mi. or 2 years whichever comes first. Stick with the OEM to preserve the proper indexing (something most don't consider or even know about).

Not doing so won't make the engine explode, but you should take the opportunity to inspect the CoilPak and the Sparkplugs and their Tubes and 'O' rings long before the 30k or 60k mi. intervals spec'd. Since you're already there so far as changing them is concerned, it's most practical to do so then. Fresh Plugs will aid in gaining max performance and max MPG, so the payback's there as well...

Old 08-19-2006, 05:27 PM   #12
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Hi,

Agreed on the extended service. But, most Platinum Plugs are marketed as a Performance enhancer which they certainly are not.

Platinum may extend the service life, but on a Performance Car you shouldn't be looking for that at all.

There are many reasons a Spark Plug can fail such as cracked electrodes or arcing and considering that they are perhaps the cheapest item to replace, especially on a Porsche, you should change your plugs every 25k mi. or 2 years whichever comes first. Stick with the OEM to preserve the proper indexing (something most don't consider or even know about).

Not doing so won't make the engine explode, but you should take the opportunity to inspect the CoilPak and the Sparkplugs and their Tubes and 'O' rings long before the 30k or 60k mi. intervals spec'd. Since you're already there so far as changing them is concerned, it's most practical to do so then. Fresh Plugs will aid in gaining max performance and max MPG, so the payback's there as well...

Although you could consider them a performance enhancement in that the performance of the plug does not degrade as quickly as a conventional plug, keeping up a consistant spark for far more miles.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Although you could consider them a performance enhancement in that the performance of the plug does not degrade as quickly as a conventional plug, keeping up a consistant spark for far more miles.
Hi,

While your arguement makes sense, if you swap the plugs at 25k/2 yr intervals, the point is moot...

Old 08-19-2006, 06:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
ok ill do that, what the brand/type that i would get from napa?

Hi,

You don't mention your model year or type (a no-no when asking for advise), the following plugs can be had from NAPA and match the following:
  • 2.5L engine / 2.7L engine / 3.2L Engine

Bosch FR7 LDC4 / Bosch FGR 6KQC / Bosch FGR 7KQC

You want to torque them to 30+3Nm or 22+2 Ft.Lbs. to insure the proper indexing. Also, the Gap s/b 0.35". Hope this helps...

Old 08-19-2006, 06:44 PM   #15
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Hi,

While your arguement makes sense, if you swap the plugs at 25k/2 yr intervals, the point is moot...

Which would be a waste of money if you're buying platinum plugs.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Which would be a waste of money if you're buying platinum plugs.
Hi,

Exactly my point. You should not be looking for a Plug that will go a bzillion miles. This is especially true given the reports of Platinum Plugs failing and causing damage.

Swapping the plugs every 2 years or 25k mi. affords one the opportunity to inspect the car in some depth for not too much $$. These cars typically need more attention and maintenance than a Honda or Toyota, there's no getting around that. Many issues which pop-up in these cars are progressive and it's usually much easier and cheaper to catch and attend to them in their early stages. Good Stewardship is part of the ownership experience and brings it's own rewards.

Sure, you could simply remove the CoilPak and pull the plugs to inspect them and the Sparkplug Tubes and 'O' rings, but why would you go to all that trouble and not swap the plugs anyway?

Old 08-20-2006, 01:04 PM   #17

Oh Crap. This isn't going to be a repeat of the whole "Shift Points for Maximum Acceleration" thread is it? Please. Just kill me now....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote