Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #1
Beginner

Garage
Still need help with crazy horn problem

First off thanks to folks who have responded to my earlier posts. The wire in the steering wheel is intact and in good shape.

If anyone has a wiring diagram for the 2003 showing the horn circuit I need it!

I've replaced the ignition switch and switch assembly twice now.

Key off, the horn works normally

Ignition switch off and ignition switch plug disconnected, the horn works normally

Key on, ignition switch connected or disconnected no horn! This almost seems connected to the steering wheel lock engaging., but that seems more like mere coincidence

This is very repeatable (and annoying).

After replacing the ignition mechanism for the second time, the horn worked normally with the ignition on, and seemed repaired before the dash was re-assembled. After re-assembling the dash it was right back to working with ignition off, and not working with ignition on.

Taking apart the left vent to have at it again, I checked operation after every removed item, and it began operating normally with the vent removed. Replaced the vent and it worked normally for a short period, then right back to working with the ignition off, but not with the ignition on.

Any thoughts (and a wiring diagram!) would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Jamesp; 02-17-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:45 PM   #2
Beginner

Garage
Pulled the vent out due to frustration. I can do that in about 10 minutes now. Horn works normally, ignition on or off. I'm slowly going bald over this, it makes no sense.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:39 AM   #3

Garage
What I can think off is either dirty/corroded connector contacts, or a wire with the conductor that's broken inside the insulation. What wires get pushed around when you pull out the vent?
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:41 AM   #4

Garage
Or maybe a wire with the solder connection to the connector broken. When the two pieces touch everything works, when they get jiggled apart, thing go bad!
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:53 AM   #5

2003 horn wiring

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:38 PM   #6
Beginner

Garage
And the winner is Thom4782! Thanks for your guidance.

I took off the airbag a couple of days ago and both horn wires looked good. Today I decided to completely disassemble the entire steering column, and after what has to be the weirdest failure I've ever seen it turns out the conductors of a horn wire were broken, but enough wire insulation remained to make it look connected.

Why the honking worked with ignition off (and wire broken), but not ignition on completely escapes me particularly as the the ignition wiring was disconnected, but there it is.

The seeming correlation between removing the vent and the horn working had to be pure chance.

The only electrical connection in the ignition assembly was the two little wires just above the ignition tumbler.

In any event Thom4782 is right, if the horn honks with ignition off but not on, even if the wires look good, likely they aint!

Thanks all.