Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2018, 06:47 AM   #1

Exhaust/Test Pipe Questions

Hey Everyone -

I just recently picked up a 2001 Boxter S for my project/track car and have some questions regarding switching out the exhaust muffler and test pipes to get rid of the 2nd cats. I have searched the forum and have noticed a few threads on the topic, I hope no one minds me starting a new one.

At this time, I don't want to switch out the headers. Mostly, I just want some more sound out of the car and the weight savings will be nice also. The car being stock is just too quiet. I would like to not spend a ton of money, but want good quality with no drone.

Any suggestions for either both a muffler and test pipes or just a good muffler?

Any ideas are very much appreciated!

2001 Boxter S
Lebby83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:20 AM   #2

Garage
I used Circuit Werks delete pipes with stock muffler. Very reasonable $$$
I like the sublet increase in exhaust note both accelerating and deceleration. I really like the weight savings. It fit without issue. Getting the 3 flange bolts off is hard work
I'm having an incomplete Secondary Air Monitor and I hope it isn't because of the different flow after the first cat. effecting the 2nd O2 sensor
Old 02-14-2018, 10:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
I'm having an incomplete Secondary Air Monitor and I hope it isn't because of the different flow after the first cat. effecting the 2nd O2 sensor
I don't think so, I think the SAI is separate from this.

I have a 2000 S with stock "headers", TopSpeed test pipes, and OEM Porsche muffler, modified by FD Motorsports with their "Fister" mod. Sounds incredible. I also tried a few combinations before that, and the OEM equipment plus the test pipes does make a nice little modification in the sounds, a little "tougher" with a few more "cracks" and "burbles"

FD Motorsports Fister exhaust for 986 Boxster report

Note in that report I call the combo of stock with test pipes as "still pretty quiet", that is relative to like a loud race muffler. It is a nice little bump over pure stock.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I have a 2000 S with stock "headers", TopSpeed test pipes, and OEM Porsche muffler, modified by FD Motorsports with their "Fister" mod. Sounds incredible. I also tried a few combinations before that, and the OEM equipment plus the test pipes does make a nice little modification in the sounds, a little "tougher" with a few more "cracks" and "burbles"

What is the "Fister" mod?
2001 Boxter S
Old 02-14-2018, 11:15 AM   #5

Glad you asked this question, i have been searching threads and you tube vids endless. Thinking if doing the 2nd cat delete also. From videos i like fvd sound version exhaust, maxflow, fister, and saw a chinese company that did a valved exhaust that i loved but too much cash.

Can you do the cat delete with out removing the bumbers ect.... i watched arts video was like well more work than i feel like trying. But on the other hand time for a service.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:09 PM   #6
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

I have....

...Circuit Werks secondary cat delete pipes with the FVD Brombacher “Sound Version” exhaust and it is THE PERFECT street sports car exhaust.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
...Circuit Werks secondary cat delete pipes with the FVD Brombacher “Sound Version” exhaust and it is THE PERFECT street sports car exhaust.
Do you have any cel issues? Was reading a post on pedros forum said the cel fix these guys use just mask cel issue. The price is right though, i had originally thought of same setup. I want more sound but not to over board.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:30 AM   #8

Looking at the Circuit werks exhaust bypass they have 2 versions. 1 has CEL error fix and the other looks standard. Not sure what the fix is curious as to which one to purchase and what is the difference compare to the FABSPEED?
Old 02-15-2018, 04:36 AM   #9

Garage
So my 02 S has 4 cats, I think that is typical. The first cat has a O2 sensor just ahead and just after this cat. So the delete pipe is after all this. Now my Delete pipes came with a O2 sensor hole and plug about mid way. So I'm speculating that some boxsters have a different Cat/O2 sensor configuration where a O2 sensor is either farther down stream or after the 2nd Cat. Then I can see CEL's in your future

stevedOx
"...I don't think so, I think the SAI is separate from this..."

My thinking isn't that the SAI system is influenced, its how is the 2nd O2 sensor warm up effected with better flow from the delete pipes. If that 2nd O2 takes longer to warm up and the SAI shuts down, the monitor may see it as incomplete. Just a theory
I have more investigation to do
Old 02-15-2018, 04:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
I read thru the other thread that talks about the FVD Brombacher. A little pricey but seems like a good way to go. Any reason you went with the Circuit Werks over the Top Speed pipes? To me in the pictures at least, the Top Speed ones seem to be a little cleaner looking and doesn't have the O2 sensors plugged.
2001 Boxter S
Old 02-15-2018, 09:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
So my 02 S has 4 cats, I think that is typical. The first cat has a O2 sensor just ahead and just after this cat. So the delete pipe is after all this. Now my Delete pipes came with a O2 sensor hole and plug about mid way. So I'm speculating that some boxsters have a different Cat/O2 sensor configuration where a O2 sensor is either farther down stream or after the 2nd Cat. Then I can see CEL's in your future

stevedOx
"...I don't think so, I think the SAI is separate from this..."

My thinking isn't that the SAI system is influenced, its how is the 2nd O2 sensor warm up effected with better flow from the delete pipes. If that 2nd O2 takes longer to warm up and the SAI shuts down, the monitor may see it as incomplete. Just a theory
I have more investigation to do
I did some reading on the fabspeed site as they have a mod for possible cel errors from cat delete also, basically said what you did about tempature. But i think theres adds a co2 filter as well.

The fadspeed are pricey but look from pics to be better built. Wish we had a good comparison.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #12

Can someone explain what the "Fister Modification" is?
2001 Boxter S
Old 02-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebby83 View Post
Can someone explain what the "Fister Modification" is?
You can check it out on their site:

https://fdmotorsports.net/shop?olsPage=products%2Ffister-991-3-dot-4-sport-exhaust-modification-ef905d30-70ae-4bda-9d7b-6b4646e855d5

If I understand correctly, it’s a PSE type mod with ceramic coating. Search for ‘fister’ on this site for more info.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 02-20-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:22 PM   #14

definately get rid of the 2ndary cats. No cel more flow and save a little weight. You can get ones on ebay for 150 or so that fit well.
Muffler is going to determine the sound you want. I'm not sure how loud you want it but too many choices....ebay 250 ones that are really not that much louder to borla dansk fabspeed etc etc too many to choose from that go up over 1k+
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
You can check it out on their site:

https://fdmotorsports.net/shop?olsPage=products%2Ffister-991-3-dot-4-sport-exhaust-modification-ef905d30-70ae-4bda-9d7b-6b4646e855d5

If I understand correctly, it’s a PSE type mod with ceramic coating. Search for ‘fister’ on this site for more info.
Read my thread about it for more details:

FD Motorsports Fister exhaust for 986 Boxster report
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:21 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebby83 View Post
I read thru the other thread that talks about the FVD Brombacher. A little pricey but seems like a good way to go. Any reason you went with the Circuit Werks over the Top Speed pipes? To me in the pictures at least, the Top Speed ones seem to be a little cleaner looking and doesn't have the O2 sensors plugged.
I have the FVD Brombacher 'sound version' muffler. Highly recommended!
I installed it myself in 2010 and have worked with a few others on choosing this muffler (10/10ths, Por356,,,).
After 8 years I still love the sound and it still looks like new, very high quality.
I added Top Speed 2ndary cat bypass pipes, which turns up the volume to the perfect level, reasonable at idle and around town, and pure Porsche flat 6 sound under acceleration. I was not aware of Circuit Werks or maybe they didn't make them then. No CEL issues on my 2002, or supposedly on any Boxster with 4 cats because the O2 sensors are on the 1st set of cats.
Reports are accurate, absolutely no drone, likely due to same outer case design as OEM muffler.
Rhonda may give a forum discount if you contact her before ordering. Mine was approx. $1100 in 2010.
(Installed with rear bumper in place)
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:26 PM   #17

I have a question. I have a 2001 Boxster 2.7. I was hoping to have a custom exhaust built incorporating Supertrapp exhaust tips. Can I leagaly remove the second set of cats on a California car? Also any recommendations for mufflers that will sound great with no drone?
Clyde1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:59 AM   #18

Garage
I have a 2000 Boxster 3.2 running a cold air kit with NHP 200 cell headers a circuit works secondary cat delete with resonators and a Borla muffler . No cel problems.Sounds amazing..!
gabedrummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabedrummin View Post
I have a 2000 Boxster 3.2 running a cold air kit with NHP 200 cell headers a circuit works secondary cat delete with resonators and a Borla muffler . No cel problems.Sounds amazing..!
I have the exact same exhaust configuration except I my secondary pipes don''t have the resonators. Was at Bondurant yesterday and it sounds amazing! It might be an issue for tracks that have a low sound limit (90-92 dB). You really hear it when you go by concrete barriers or a tunnel So if you want to keep the stock headers, just put in the secondary test pipes and a good quality muffler. The Borla muffler came with the car when I bought it and I kept in because it didn't drone and sounded/looked great.

I did notice the oil temperature creeping up to ~240F. This is the highest I've seen in this car. Two factors may have affected this: new NHP headers (more air flow/fuel/heat) and high ambient air temp (95F). I'm leaning towards the hot air temp.
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles

Last edited by AZ986S; 04-23-2018 at 08:04 AM.
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde1515 View Post
I have a question. I have a 2001 Boxster 2.7. I was hoping to have a custom exhaust built incorporating Supertrapp exhaust tips. Can I leagaly remove the second set of cats on a California car? Also any recommendations for mufflers that will sound great with no drone?
I think key word, is legally! My guess is it is not legal in california, but just a guess. I may get by without anyone noticing it though, probably have to be willing to take a ticket if you got busted.

As a matter of fact I read a post from a Ca owner said muffler shop would not install a test pipe for them.