Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2018, 11:20 AM   #1

Boxster S 2001 sport exhaust replacement

Hello

Unfortunately my 2001 Boxster S which has the original Porsche sport exhaust, with the front pipe styling, has major leaks coming from it. Part number 00004420012. There was welding done last year but hasn't fixed it.

I'm very reluctant to change it because of the unique look of this exhaust but I think it has to be done and unlikely to be repairable.

Any suggestions for an alternative replacement which still gives the great sound but would also look good?

I fear the back end of the car will look Bare without the front pipe styling.

Ianbadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
One option (the best, IMO) would be to buy a good used stock muffler, add bypass pipes and transfer the vacuum valves over from your current exhaust. If you keep the bypass pipes the same size and hook all of the vacuum lines back up, it should sound and function similar to the original.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:46 PM   #3

If you decide to change the headers too, you need to take into account that the bolts might break off, I had 8 out of the 12 snap and they don't come out no matter what you do. You have to drill them and it is a nightmare of a job.

Anyone got the cam locking tools?

Yours might just come straight out.

Last edited by Troutman; 02-07-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:41 AM   #4

Cheers guys.

Not sure where I'd get a good used back box tbh.

I'm taking it to a place called Stainless Creations and going to see what they can do. Hopefully they will be able to reuse parts of current exhaust in anything they plan.

Ianbadams is offline   Reply With Quote