Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2018, 09:41 AM   #1

03 Boxster Starting issue

I have read through the forum and haven't found a resolution so I'm posting mine specifically. I have an 03 w/ 90k 5spd

When I go to start the car I must turn the key and hold it for sometimes 1 minute and sometimes 40 minutes before it starts. After turning the key you can hear clicks but nothing happens until it feels like starting right up. Once it decides to start it doesn't struggle at all.

I have checked the relays and see no problems, fuses are all good, I replaced the electronic ignition switch, battery is 100% alternator was checked and fully functional. I read about the immobilizer and its never been wet or touched...

I'm stuck now and don't really want to go to a dealership and authorize 3-4 hrs diagnostics to "hope" they figure out the actual problem and don't go replacing a bunch of stuff that won't fix the issue.. Any help would be great!

Bill

wjswireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:56 PM   #2

Do you mean you are turning the key to start for 40 minutes? That must hurt your fingers.
If you are getting clicking it sounds like either the main battery cable terminal to the starter motor and at the battery needs cleaned or the starter needs replaced or rebuilt.
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:43 AM   #3

Garage
am having the same exact issues with my 03.. !
flete25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:10 PM   #4

Aren't there sensors for the transmission and the steering wheel that must all be triggering to have the car start? The only problems I ever had I wiggled the transmission (TIP) and the steering wheel and mirable dictu.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:06 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Aren't there sensors for the transmission and the steering wheel that must all be triggering to have the car start? The only problems I ever had I wiggled the transmission (TIP) and the steering wheel and mirable dictu.
The tiptronic won't start unless the car is in neutral or park. There is a gear selection switch on the left side of the transmission that can go bad and cause start issues.

No such thing on the manual trans...parking brake and clutch switch.
Other things that come to mind are the transponder coil and cables from the battery to starter. Check the bolt connection at the top of the firewall (under the engine cover, #17 in the diagram) where the positive battery cable splits between the alternator and starter. If that nut comes loose, it can cause this exact problem. Also check the connection at the current distributor (under the passenger dash, #14).
Next, jump the start lock relay and turn the key. If the engine cranks but won't fire, you have a transponder issue. If it still won't crank, you could have immobilizer or wiring damage.
Attached Images

Last edited by particlewave; 02-08-2018 at 10:14 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote