Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2018, 09:07 AM   #1

Oem rims

Have an 02 base with 17 inch chrome rims considering replacing with stock alloys websites show rims as oem are these ok they seem to be several hundred $ less than dealer costs

boxstertoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #2

Indefinite antecedent of the word "these". Post link so we can see what you are talking about. There are ones that look OEM but are inferior knock-offs. Heavier and not as robust. Not true for all third party wheels, just some. That is why the specifics of what you are looking for matters.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:19 PM   #3

Oem rims

My bad but I do not have a screens hot of the rims the site is autorimshop.. in general if the site refers to rims as oem can they be other than. About half the cost but I am apprehensive lots of knockoffs around . Some sites sell look a like but another brand that is easy
Old 01-22-2018, 09:17 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Based on the product description, I would say that they are knockoff's.

The product description goes to great length to strongly imply that they are authentic Porsche wheels but then they use some weasel wording that seems like they are trying to leave themselves an out in case someone figures out that they're not legit.

For example, they never actually call it a Porsche wheel - instead they always call it a "Factory OEM" wheel. Which is correct in that it was made by a factory and it is an OEM wheel from the factory that made it - the question is whether it was the Porsche factory? Seems like they would say it was manufactured by Porsche if that were true and avoid all of the confusing language.

Another example; the product description says, "The corresponding OEM part number for this rim is Porsche part number(s): xxxxxxxxxx". If it were an authentic Porsche wheel, they wouldn't use the term "corresponding".

Another example; they say "All of our wheels are remanufactured to meet or exceed SAE and ASTM wheel testing standards." Remanufactured? That doesn't sound right. Neither does testing to SAE/ASTM standards since I am pretty sure that Porsche tests wheels to TUV SUD standards.

You could call and ask to see what they say. Or ask for photos of the inside of the wheel which will allow confirmation that they have all of the proper markings of an authentic Porsche wheel.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 01-22-2018 at 09:31 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:40 PM   #5

Yeah, kinda dubious really. At the very least they are refurbished. God knows from what. As Stone said, you need to see the inner wheel markings to know whether or not they are "Genuine Porsche". Which, BTW, they never say in the descriptions.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:50 AM   #6

Smile Oem rims

Much appreciated missed some of the site language I appreciate the responses saving my pennies for the real thing

02 boxster base loving it every day