Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2018, 05:32 AM   #1

Some thoughts/questions during engine swap

I'm replacing the original 2.7 in my 01 with another 2.7 (factory reman'd but with 50k since.) The replacement engine has the later IMS, which makes me think it was rebuilt after 05. Raby's manager thinks so too.

Some thoughts and a few questions. First, the motor mount had completely failed. No wonder the motor was making strange noises and a strong thump when I would get on it. I'm having a shop press in a new replacement (Uro,) went to Porsche and they don't use inserts, they just replace the whole thing--expensive and I don't want a replacement of the same quality as the old one. The car has only 74,500 miles on it.

The old engine has the old style IMS on it, not failed. But it looks like it's been leaking oil for most of the engine's life. RMS was fine, but there's oily sludge around the IMS and all over the lower half of the TIP.

The new engine had the wire on the v-cam solenoid sheared off in shipping, so I'm replacing it with the one from the old engine. Getting the valve cover off and getting to the solenoid was easier than I thought, I made a holder to hold the end of the exhaust cam in. It didn't move. Pelican has a cam cover tightening procedure with a nice diagram. Those guys really do a great job. Probably will install the solenoid to the new engine today.

There's a bolt on the lower left of the bell housing that is a b i t c h to remove. I don't have a driver that will do it, and there's no room to get a hammer in there to seat the driver. I ended up drilling the head of the bolt from the side and inserted an allen wrench and loosened it with a hammer. I'm going to clean up my drill job and then reuse that bolt, it now has a preset stop to get an approximation of torque (and I'd never get a torque wrench in there.)

Some thoughts on fasteners, on the 'net, I see that I'm supposed to replace all the little bolts that hold the valve cover on. ??? They torque on at 10 ft lb (120 inch lb) and they aren't likely to deform or stretch at that torque setting. I may use a dab of sealer on each bolt as a soft loctite. Or I may just use loctite.

The torque settings for the flex plate to crank shaft are impossible to find, I looked yesterday for about an hour and never found them. So I'll torque them on at about 30 ft lb with a little blue loctite. I think the torque converter screws are about that, too. I tried to replace the crank fasteners, but couldn't find them.

I think probably Porsche is anal retentive about only using fasteners once. I'm not. :dance:

Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote