Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #1

help with these codes

i recently purchased an 02 Boxster S and have a few questions on the direction im about to go.

I had a CEL come on and had a buddy read the codes....0507,0446,1128,and 1130.
The day i got the car, the CEL came on. Stopped to get gas, and after filling up it wouldn't start. It would turn over just fine, but wouldn't start. Finally after sitting a bit it started. It was making that "humming" sound coming from the gas cap/filler area. When you gave it gas, the humming went away. I saw a video on Pelican Parts about it probably being the purge valve, so i replaced it with a new one but still makes the noise. My gas cap is not in the best of shape, so i ordered a new one.

Now what I've got going on is when its first started and until its good and warmed up, its sporadically missing and backfiring.
ive done some searches and research on here and a few people have had luck wit cleaning the throttle body and MAF when they had 2 of those codes, so im going to try that. Also purchased a new air filter to change out while im doing this (i have no idea what shape the one that's in it is). I figured it cant hurt.
I also have been reading today about the Idle Air Control Valve, and wonder if this could be part of the problem.
I am not sure if those are cleaned or replaced. If anyone can chime in id appreciate it. I looked on pelican parts and couldn't find the IACV in case i have to buy one.

any help will be appreciated

tx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #2

0507 - Idle speed too high, usually air leak, throttle position actuator or position sensor issue.
0446 - EVAP canister shut off valve malfunction, below limit (usually a blocked purge line)
1128 & 1130 - Fuel air mixture is overly rich, sometimes also related to the EVAP purge line.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:18 PM   #3

Well I'm wondering if these things I'm talking about doing will help the problem.

I figure cleaning the TB and MAF can't hurt
Old 01-05-2018, 03:12 PM   #4

JFP....thank you for the info.
Can you direct me to where I can find a diagram or the whereabouts of the canister and purge line you're referring to? Not sure what to look for
Old 01-05-2018, 04:33 PM   #5

Porsche keeps moving around the parts catalog on their web site. The catalog has diagrams of the systems. Usually under the Service and Parts sections if you poke around. I left you a private message with the current site location. Enter the model number and model year on the page and download it if you can for future use.

The environment controls for the gas tank have changed since the intro of the 986 so the bootleg CDs may not be much help.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:58 PM   #6

Ok. Thank you very much Mike