Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2017, 01:29 PM   #1

Replacing key cylinder lock DIY?

I went ahead and ordered a parts set of matching under the seat CLU, trunk ECU, key, cylinder lock and door handle lock mechanism from eBay.

Originally was going to get my CLU fixed,or attempted, by a shop but it's an auction car so CLU had been sitting for months dampened. Plus the whole set of parts was $450 vs $800ish to just fix the CLU.

I searched but didn't find any info on switching this out. Does anyone have some instructions?

Also ordered a new ignition switch to put in at the same time just in case.

Thanks,

aviorperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #2

In case someone else needs the DIY later , I found a video on YouTube.

This isn't the whole unit but maybe it will work for me.

https://youtu.be/-KlNKBS0rrM
Old 12-17-2017, 07:41 PM   #3

This is what I bought. Not sure if I need to change out the whole assembly for it to be compatible with new CLU.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:55 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Why would you change the lock cylinders because of a bad CLU?
All you need is the CLU, DME, the transponder pill out of the new key head and the transmitter, if it works (just swap your old blade into the new head or swap the new transponder and circuit board into your old key and head).
Also (FYI), the replacement CLU's stored VIN won't match your car.
It's a lot easier to just pull your old EEPROM file (or entire chip) from the old CLU and install it onto the new one. Then the CLU will match the existing DME, key transponder and transmitter, and VINs will match.

Last edited by particlewave; 12-17-2017 at 08:03 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Why would you change the lock cylinders because of a bad CLU?
Also (FYI), the replacement CLU's stored VIN won't match your car.
It's sold as a package with trunk ecu and matching key so it all matches together. The car I bought had water damaged CLU. As mentioned in first post it was $800 to maybe fix it or $450 for the replacement set with keys and all.

The picture is edited smaller but you can see the CLU / trunk ecu all in there too.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorperformance View Post
It's sold as a package with trunk ecu and matching key so it all matches together. The car I bought had water damaged CLU. As mentioned in first post it was $800 to maybe fix it or $450 for the replacement set with keys and all.

The picture is edited smaller but you can see the CLU / trunk ecu all in there too.
The stored VINs will not match your car. That might come up when/if you try to sell it. Not to mention the ignition #s and possibly other things. Better to just swap CLU EEPROMs.

But, to answer your question, you do not need to swap lock cylinders.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
The stored VINs will not match your car. That might come up when/if you try to sell it. Not to mention the ignition #s and possibly other things. Better to just swap CLU EEPROMs.

But, to answer your question, you do not need to swap lock cylinders.
It's going into a flood car I'm pretty sure, so I doubt he's too concerned about resale
deathsled986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:06 PM   #8
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Make sure you get the VIN of the donor car so your local dealer can provide the passwords for the new DME and immobilizer. Then find someone with with at least a PST-2 to change the VIN on the new DME. Otherwise you're going to have an interesting conversation at your next emissions test.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.

Last edited by Paul; 12-18-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:03 AM   #9
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Make sure you get the VIN of the donor car so your local dealer can provide the passwords for the new DME and immobilizer...
When I buy a module from another car, or strip it out of a parts car, I print a label with the year/model/VIN and place it on the part. Additionally, I would advise you to box up the old parts you replaced (Key fob, immobilizer box, DME etc.) and keep them in case you or a future owner decide to revert it to original using the method that Particlewave advised.

On my first project Boxster I did what you did, buying an immobilizer/DME set and replacing the water damaged unit. I have had no problems or regrets - and no plans to sell the car.

Edit: Adding the following details for further reference:

To get the car running you need the following parts as a matched set:
  1. The transponder inside the head of the key fob. (Looks like a large grain of rice made of glass)
  2. The box under the seat AKA immobilizer box, M535, or “Central Locking Unit”
  3. The trunk ECU (called a “DME” in Porsche language).
Any key blade or screw driver that will turn the ignition switch will be fine as long as you have the other 3 elements listed above.

The rectangular module on the ignition lock in your picture is called “signal transducer”, or “signal transformer anti-drive off lock” depending on your source. The electronic signal for the security passes though it, but it is not coded in any way to a particular car. You can leave your current one in.

The other important issue is locking and unlocking the car. The key fob must be matched to the box under the seat for remote locking to work.
Here's some lock discussion that may be worth reading:
Unlockable car, ignition key okay
3rd Party Keyless Entry DIY (Why Not?)

Before you try to start any flooded damaged car, (in addition to other checks) I highly recommend that you pull the spark plugs and crank it over until you are sure there is no water in the combustion path.

Here's some good discussion about repairing the immobilizer box:
The Nine8Six (the car) is dead, can't start

Last edited by 78F350; 12-19-2017 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Added more detail from PM discussion.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:12 PM   #10

Swapped in new,used, CLU/DMU and the cylinder lock as seen in that video.

-Connected jumper box to fuse box jump location
-Got power to open frunk
-Connected jumper box to battery
-Turn key....vroom started right up.

Car has 53k miles, top works perfect, nice stereo, ac works, really clean interior, drove good around the block.

I'm happy.

Quick pic next to my 911.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:38 PM   #11

Excellent. My Boxster is in storage for the winter and i really miss it. Your car looks good. Enjoy
xzyfsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 06:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzyfsk View Post
Excellent. My Boxster is in storage for the winter and i really miss it. Your car looks good. Enjoy
Winter ? We know of no such thing here in South Texas.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:26 PM   #13
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorperformance View Post
Winter ? We know of no such thing here in South Texas.
"I'm dreaming of a dirt-brown Christmas!"

No thanks...