Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2003, 01:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

Problems with lock on fuel flap

Just upgraded from a 1987 911 to a 2000 Boxster S. The Boxster is awesome!!! Just waiting fro some more warm weather to go out with the top down.

One question for the experts: when I lock the car, the flap over the fuel filler cap does not lock. The manual seems to indicate that it should lock. Was the locking filler cap an optional feature or do I have a problem?
If it's a problem does anyone have any hints for figuring out what's wrong, or should I just take the car to the dealer and have them look at it under warranty?

Thanks a lot for any help,
Rick
Speed Yellow 2000 Boxster S

PS I think this is expected, but just to be sure can someone confirm that the right (passenger side since I'm in the US) rear fog light is not expected to light? Or, do I have a bad bulb?

hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 04:28 PM   #2

Hey. I have a 2000 as well.
The Fuel door IS supposed to lock when the doors are locked. This is a standard option offered on all newer Porches.

Also while driving if activated only the left rear fog light will come on if activated. THe US version for the boxster is actually missing the bulb for right side. This is normal. If you take apart the rear taillight assembly you will see there is one empty socket.
jfmillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 05:10 PM   #3
Forum Member

Is the left fog light socket wired up. i.e if you put a bulb in there does it work?

Rick
PS thanks for the info on the fuel filler flap, there must be something wrong with mine. I'll have to figure out what I can to do debug the problem.
hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 06:40 PM   #4

I would guess that since it is a 2000, as mine is, you probably have some of your warranty left. Bring it to a dealer and have them fix it. My guess is something is wrong with the fuel door lock or else could be something like a wiring problem. It could be a few things. Short of it just being a fuse I would take it to the dealer.
As for the rear fog light, the left rear one should already work. Like when you pull the light control switch out once for driving lights and twice for the driving lights and the left rear fog light shoudl be on. Thepassenger side rear fog light wont work even if you put a buld in the socket that is left vacant in the assembly. I was told that either A) it isnt wired up to work or B) you need the European relay switch to make it available. C) or else find a way to wire that right rear fog light to the left rear fog light so they can both come on at the same time.
Some food for thought I suppose.
Old 04-05-2003, 04:35 PM   #5

hmm, I wonder why only the driver's rear fog is active? Is there a story behind this?

And to make life more strange -- my '01 has both sides of the rear fogs working -- explain that!
ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 08:45 PM   #6

Without totally knowing for sure they must have changed it in 01. Or something. I looked at a few 2000's and saw the same thing.
I am not totally sure why they did it that way. I suppose if I actualy used it and cared enough might inquire about it.
Old 04-06-2003, 04:18 AM   #7
Tom
Forum Member

Hi folks, I'm new to the site as of yesterday. I've got a 00' and about a month ago had a fule lid problem. I noticed the actuater which engages the lid wasn't making contact. turns out there's a little plastic clip holding it in place. If the clip breaks thi assembly will fall inside the bodywork. should be a pretty quick fix. Hope this helps. Tom from Lancaster Pa.
Old 04-06-2003, 09:11 PM   #8

With the fuel lid open push on the remote button while you watch the black plastic rod - to see if it moves. If it does not move then the solenoid is bad or it has become disconnected from the mounting bracket.

All year Boxsters have only one working rear fog light, on the driver's side. There is more info on the UK board. http://forum.boxa.net/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=1075&hl=fog+light&s=

Why just one? Some say so the driver behind you will not think the brake lights are on. Some say it is so the driver behind you knows which side to pass on. Jeff
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 09:14 PM   #9

As usual, my link did not work when I put it in the http box

http://forum.boxa.net/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=1075&hl=fog+light&s=
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 07:48 PM   #10
Forum Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Supamatt
I have a 2000 as well and have the same problem with the filler door, I can hear it wanting to lock, but it never does. I have not spent the time to look at it, but it should be an easy fix.

DigitalInsomnia
http://digitalinsomnia.cc/matt/road.jpg
Supamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 08:10 AM   #11
Forum Contributor

Fuel lid and fog light

Fuel lid - My 2000 S also had a non-locking fuel lid, but I fixed mine easily by turning the half circle rubber gromet around that cushions the fuel lid from the body when closed. Mine was facing forwards and the plastic rod was just missing the lid catch orifice when closed. Turning the gromet allowed the lid to close a gnat's more, and that did the trick.

Fog light - I grew up in England and I remember fog lights being the new thing on cars in the 70s. For some reason there was always only one rear. Its probably an EU regulation, but if the 01's now have two rear fogs, maybe the EU bureucrats have tweaked the regs. Parking lights on motorcycles is another EU reg that baffles Americans.

Eugene. So. Or. 2000 S
evander13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 05:42 PM   #12
Forum Member

most german cars and many other european cars (volvo, saab etc) have to have the left rear fog light on, it's a law in europe, now many have both rears on in the newer models, Jag, volvo and others. Great way to tell the who is using their fog lights as beacons instead of auxillary lights in poor visibility situations.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:51 AM   #13

Any solutions?

The fuel flap on mine won't lock. The locking needle moves out when I press the remote, but does not seem to have anything to lock in to. There appears to be a slot on the flap into which the needle should locate, but it does not appear to be aligned. Is there a plasic/rubber insert for the flap which has fallen out or maybe the needle is not long enough, although it seems to be. Very puzzling. Anyone else had the same problem?
squirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #14

holy dead thread!!

anyway it is a $3 part from pelican parts.
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:12 AM   #15

Ta

Cheers 5.9, £1.49 from DesignTek -I'm in UK, don't you know.
squirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #16

I have the same problem, as long I dont caught somebody siponing my gas.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #17

I had the same problem with the locking pin missing the gas cap part.

Apparently the original gromet guiding the pin was gone so I made one out of some rubber tubing and the pin now hits its mark and locks the cap.

Easy fix, 5 minutes and cost was $0 with a little inginuity and searching the parts boxes for some black tubing with the right ID.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:48 PM   #18

Problem with lock on fuel flap

Quote:
Originally Posted by evander13 View Post
Fuel lid - My 2000 S also had a non-locking fuel lid, but I fixed mine easily by turning the half circle rubber gromet around that cushions the fuel lid from the body when closed. Mine was facing forwards and the plastic rod was just missing the lid catch orifice when closed. Turning the gromet allowed the lid to close a gnat's more, and that did the trick.

Fog light - I grew up in England and I remember fog lights being the new thing on cars in the 70s. For some reason there was always only one rear. Its probably an EU regulation, but if the 01's now have two rear fogs, maybe the EU bureucrats have tweaked the regs. Parking lights on motorcycles is another EU reg that baffles Americans.

Eugene. So. Or. 2000 S
Old topic I know but, just had to share, same trick worked for mine. Rotated the half circle bumper rubber so the flat side faced the flap and now the lock works.
Thanks for the idea!

RobertKing is offline   Reply With Quote