Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2005, 04:34 PM   #1

Talking Good article in "Excellence" Magazine

Starting on p 165 9/05 issue of Excellence, there is a very nice write up on how a Boxster based racing series may develop. Lots of nice tech issues on brakes, weight, etc. that you track types may find interesting.

Directly following that, the tech guy covers the process for changing plugs in the Box. Again, good stuff.

Also, full tech review of the Cayman is included.

Finally, the Market Update covers Boxster pricing of late.

All very Boxster specific.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 04:01 AM   #2

And a Boxster racing series would have to bring more aftermarket performance goodies. I'm all for it.
Say, wasn't that a yellow box in Excellence?
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:49 PM   #3

yep, sure was. Kind of looked like lemonjello.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:45 AM   #4

buying a 2000 2.7 help!

hi, I am buying a 2000 2.7 boxster privately and need some advice.
the car has no service history and 47000miles or 75000 klm.
it was never damaged or crashed and is in general excellant condition-what should i be looking for???uk author.
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:00 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Try to have a Pre Purchase Inspection. If you are not going to do that at least have a Carmax report ran on it,scan over tires to see if they are mismatched,check for manuals(all of them),ask for records/receipts,see if it has had a RMS failure before, make sure it is up to date on recalls and most importantly make you enjoy it!
Old 01-27-2006, 05:15 AM   #6

Do a search here on the topic.

TONS of good posts on the subject.

A PPI and a Car Fax are MINIMUM standards in my book.

Good luck!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:00 PM   #7

The series currently has two cars running and another 2 (that I'm aware of) being built as we type)

Contact me or see my other posts in the other form for more information.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:04 AM   #8

Smile Buying 2000 Boxster with 47K

This was my experience buying a 2000 Boxster with 42,000 miles on it. I bought it from the local BMW dealer who took it in on trade. It had two previous owners, the last owner had the car for 2 years and the dealer swore she took excellent care of the car and did all the required service, but there was no paperwork on service done to the car. The BMW dealer also said they checked the car over and it was in great shape.

I had the carfax on the car and there were no indications of abuse, so I bought the car without first having an independent check it out because the dealer gave me a 1 month/1000 mile return on it.

I took it to the local Porsche dealer to have it checked out and found that it had likely never had any service except for the oil changed. They said it had the original cabin filter, plugs and likely, original air filter. I got what I thought was a good deal on the car, so I kept it and had the 30K service done on the car.

So, like I did not do, and others are recommending, it is a very good idea to have a pre-buy check done on the car, just my two cents,

Ed
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:52 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
I took it to the local Porsche dealer to have it checked out and found that it had likely never had any service except for the oil changed. They said it had the original cabin filter, plugs and likely, original air filter. I got what I thought was a good deal on the car, so I kept it and had the 30K service done on the car.
And it ran fine with only an oil change done until 30k?
Old 07-17-2006, 11:05 AM   #10

Oil Change on 2000 Boxster

As far as I can tell, the car had been getting regular oil changes, the oil was very clean when I checked it. The first owner sold the car when it had 31K on it and never did the 30K service. The second owner thought the 30K service was done, so it looks like she just did oil changes. I asked the Porsche mechanic that was checking the car over what he thought about that history, and he said he thought it would be fine. The engine was nice and dry with no leaks, no error codes and the car seems to run great. Time will tell.

It really was an education in car dealers. The BMW dealer that I bought it from said he knew the last owner, a worman, that had the car for the last two years. And even though there was no paperwork, he swore that the woman did all the regular service intervals on the car. She lived in Virginia Beach and I called the Porsche dealership there, they had never seen the car. Somehow I thought a BMW dealership would be more responsible.

Ed
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:11 PM   #11

just a suggestion: If you live near Virginia Beach, take it to Stuttgart of Williamsburg, the only thing the guy does is Porsche service, for 35 years!!!, if the BMW guy was SO sure it was well taken care of, what did he base his confidence on if there are no records???,
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:04 AM   #12

Boxster Cup

are you guys talking about this:
http://www.porscheownersclub.org/

http://boxsterspecracing.org/home/index.php?location=home

should be a VERY popular and fun series.

Trav
Old 04-20-2007, 09:32 AM   #13

PPI -good idea

As a person who can only affrod used Porshes, and having owned 6, I have to say in general it has been my experience that most folks who buy a new Porsche take very good care of thier investment. Certainly smart to have to pre-check, but in general these cars are not lacking in the preventive maintenane department. In fact I have documented recods of one older 911 I purschased of synthectic oil changes every 2K, since purched ! A little extreme! I suppose leasing now a days may have some effect, but I still think most like myself treat these things pretty darn good. Heck I recently rented a Hertz Shelby Mustang, just to check it out for week and had the car washed before returning it!
Frank Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:52 AM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Wow, can we try to stay on topic here?

Boxster Racing... Chills is all for it! Like limoncello said, more aftermarket goodies. I can also see myself getting into something like that at the track.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:28 PM   #15

Porsche Mechanics in Tampa

Does anyone know a good mechanic in Tampa? I have a personal isue with Reeves as when I walked on their lot when I was looking to buy my Boxster new in flip flops and shorts they didn't leave the show room to help me. Come to think of it I was looking for a Jetta right out of college and was treated the same there...any recomendations would be appreciated...

CD
cdoyletampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:42 AM   #16

Porsche Mechanics in Tampa

I understand your issues with Reeves--I experienced the same.
I have been taking my car to Dave White Porsche Racing which I believe just changed to Vortex Autosport-off of Hillsborough Ave. http://vortexmotorsport.com/index.shtml
marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:08 PM   #17

I bought my 03 Boxster with 33K miles from a Porsche dealer. It was a new car trade bought originally at the dealer. I had the name of the previous owner and all the records. The car was Porsche certified, plus a few months remaining on the new car warranty. Porsche replaced one of the front headlamp assemblies when I found it was fogging when I washed the car. That's $1000 saved.
I have had to get a new battery this winter, not covered, but not unexpected and inexpensive. Otherwise, everything perfect.

The bottom line is I buy my Porsches at a Porsche dealer, and Porsche certified.
It costs the dealer $1500 or so for the certification, so they only do it on their best cars. And my dealer prices are very competitive with private sales.
986sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #18
lovely09

The magazine seems to be very interesting to me as a beginner in driving and familiarizing my car.I'm still on a learning process on how everything goes with a car.I will look forward reading the whole article.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:55 PM   #19

Ok so now the next question.

With a header.... Use a traditional header gasket? Or use a nice new OEM stamped steel manifold gasket.

I know from experience with Fords that a header gasket is a HUGE no no when using OEM manifolds. It will cause manifold damage, and broken studs. This is due to the "header gasket" blocking heat transfer between the manifold and head.

I also might be overthinking this

Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote