Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2006, 02:57 PM   #1

Parking Brake Switch

Hi again...another issue here with a 98 Boxster.

Anyone had problems with the hand brake switch? Ever so often the park brake light doesn't illuminate on the dash and then i cannot get the top to go up.

If the issue os the switch, then is it easy to replace?

Strawfordt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:54 PM   #2

Happened to me yesterday too. I imagine the switch itself is easy to replace, it's getting to the switch that I found difficult... I tried to remove the center console the first time I had problems but couldn't find a write-up on removing the center console (admittedly I did not try as hard as i usually do). Anyone have a link to a wrte-up?

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabel
Happened to me yesterday too. I imagine the switch itself is easy to replace, it's getting to the switch that I found difficult... I tried to remove the center console the first time I had problems but couldn't find a write-up on removing the center console (admittedly I did not try as hard as i usually do). Anyone have a link to a wrte-up?

Did you get anywhere with a repair procedure? I think i was over-stroking my handle cauing a switch error. Not sure but sure would like to know if i could fix it myself
Old 08-10-2006, 02:15 PM   #4

I just had (still have) the same problem. It's no fun not being able to put the top up when it's raining.
I removed the plastic cover on the driver's side of the brake handle and was able to remove the switch- looks like some type of plastic fastener broke off. I also tried to remove the center console by following the Bentley manual instructions. It looked pretty simple- just remove the bottom of the oddments tray and then 3 screws. But the console just wouldn't budge. Feels like something at the top of the base of the brake handle is preventing the console from being removed.
The good news is that you can remove the switch from that small side panel and (unless your switch is completely destroyed) if you can get the black plunger to the up position the dash light should illuminate. I covered the dash ight with a small piece of black tape for now. The switch just hangs out by the seatbelt buckle.
I'll get a new switch this Saturday (hope it's not stupid-expensive) and give the center console removal another try. In the mean time, I don't have to worry about not getting the top up.

Anybody out there have any advice on the console removal.

Regards,

derb
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:21 PM   #5

Did a little searching over on renntech.org, found a link to PDF instructions for installing a short shifter... which includes directions on center console removal:

http://www.bmracing.com/media/products/pdf/67.pdf

I glanced at it quickly, but it certainly shows a few attachment points I had not discovered on my first attempt to remove it.

Let me know if that helps if you get around to it before I do

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:27 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
I watched my dealer machanic change mine not too long ago. (car was under warranty). You do not need to remove the center consel, just open that storage box and remove the plasic cap under it which leads to where the switch is. Took him about 10mins to do everything.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:11 PM   #7

kabel,
Thanks for the post and the link. It looks like the Bentley manual missed the screw under the coin holder. Yep, just double checked the manual. Thanks a million.

TriGem2k,
Under the bottom of my '99's oddments tray bottom is just the parking brake adjustment pully-like-thing. Maybe the '01s are of a different design?

Thank you for the help.

Regards,
derb
Old 08-30-2006, 11:10 AM   #8

Need the Switch

Anyone know where i can get the switch for the park brake lever?

Please help if you can.

Thanks
Old 08-30-2006, 12:03 PM   #9

It's $6.60US right from the Porsche parts counter.
My cheapest trip yet to the dealer- sorry, stealership.