Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2017, 08:32 PM   #1

Tiptronic axle spacers?

Hey Guys,

I'm in need of some axle spacers to account for the shift in the transaxle as a result of the V8 swap. Tarett Engineering offers this kit for $180, which I find to be very steep for a couple of aluminum spacers.

After some researching, I ran into 996 factory spacers that are used on tiptronic gearboxes. The part number is 996-332-229-01. I can get these for $28 a pop from my local deal plus another $25 for the bolts. Is this essentially the same as the Tarett spacer? Is the tiptronic bolt pattern same as manual?

martsink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:23 AM   #2

You could drop by your local machine shop to get them done for cheaper, but not much I'm sure. If you send me a drawing I can get those done for you but it won't be AL man (unavailable these days loll). Carbon steel (quenched) with class 12.9 bolts only.

I see about 2~3hrs of work including the CAD/CAM work. Roughly $80~$120+shipping

Tippytronic here also

Last edited by Nine8Six; 10-23-2017 at 03:32 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
You could drop by your local machine shop to get them done for cheaper, but not much I'm sure. If you send me a drawing I can get those done for you but it won't be AL man (unavailable these days loll). Carbon steel (quenched) with class 12.9 bolts only.

I see about 2~3hrs of work including the CAD/CAM work. Roughly $80~$120+shipping

Tippytronic here also
Hey, sorry I think my initial post was confusing. I have a manual transmission, but i noticed tiptronics use a spacer on the axles. I was wondering if could potentially use this spacer on my manual gearbox since they are pretty cheap from Porsche
martsink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:21 PM   #4

Did you figure this out?

The Tarett spacers are for the FRONT of a 996C4 if I recall correctly.. and they use a much smaller CV joint out of the front diff.

I did physically hand Tarett (Ira) a GT4CSMR PDK axle spacer to duplicate.. I'll follow up and see if he finished them!
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
Did you figure this out?

The Tarett spacers are for the FRONT of a 996C4 if I recall correctly.. and they use a much smaller CV joint out of the front diff.

I did physically hand Tarett (Ira) a GT4CSMR PDK axle spacer to duplicate.. I'll follow up and see if he finished them!
WOW, Brad's back!
Old 11-24-2017, 07:16 PM   #6

I typically come back 1-2 weeks total out of every year around the holidays when the 72flights and 100's of days at the track slow down LOL

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote