986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Tiptronic axle spacers? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/69668-tiptronic-axle-spacers.html)

martsink 10-22-2017 08:32 PM

Tiptronic axle spacers?

Hey Guys,

I'm in need of some axle spacers to account for the shift in the transaxle as a result of the V8 swap. Tarett Engineering offers this kit for $180, which I find to be very steep for a couple of aluminum spacers.

After some researching, I ran into 996 factory spacers that are used on tiptronic gearboxes. The part number is 996-332-229-01. I can get these for $28 a pop from my local deal plus another $25 for the bolts. Is this essentially the same as the Tarett spacer? Is the tiptronic bolt pattern same as manual?

Nine8Six 10-23-2017 03:23 AM

You could drop by your local machine shop to get them done for cheaper, but not much I'm sure. If you send me a drawing I can get those done for you but it won't be AL man (unavailable these days loll). Carbon steel (quenched) with class 12.9 bolts only.

I see about 2~3hrs of work including the CAD/CAM work. Roughly $80~$120+shipping

Tippytronic here also ;)

martsink 10-23-2017 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nine8Six (Post 553232)
You could drop by your local machine shop to get them done for cheaper, but not much I'm sure. If you send me a drawing I can get those done for you but it won't be AL man (unavailable these days loll). Carbon steel (quenched) with class 12.9 bolts only.

I see about 2~3hrs of work including the CAD/CAM work. Roughly $80~$120+shipping

Tippytronic here also ;)

Hey, sorry I think my initial post was confusing. I have a manual transmission, but i noticed tiptronics use a spacer on the axles. I was wondering if could potentially use this spacer on my manual gearbox since they are pretty cheap from Porsche

Brad Roberts 11-23-2017 06:21 PM

Did you figure this out?

The Tarett spacers are for the FRONT of a 996C4 if I recall correctly.. and they use a much smaller CV joint out of the front diff.

I did physically hand Tarett (Ira) a GT4CSMR PDK axle spacer to duplicate.. I'll follow up and see if he finished them!

itsnotanova 11-24-2017 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Roberts (Post 556118)
Did you figure this out?

The Tarett spacers are for the FRONT of a 996C4 if I recall correctly.. and they use a much smaller CV joint out of the front diff.

I did physically hand Tarett (Ira) a GT4CSMR PDK axle spacer to duplicate.. I'll follow up and see if he finished them!

WOW, Brad's back!

Brad Roberts 11-24-2017 07:16 PM

I typically come back 1-2 weeks total out of every year around the holidays when the 72flights and 100's of days at the track slow down LOL