Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2017, 04:33 AM   #1
Beginner

Garage
Where are the limit switches that activate the top not latched dash light?

My top literally fell apart as the glue holding it together failed. The dash light lit up and now stays illuminated even with the top up and latched. I'd like to fix the limit switch.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:09 AM   #2

Garage
The limit switch is at the bottom of the hole that the hook on the latch goes into. Try putting your finger in and pushing the switch with the latch open. If the switch is working the light should go out.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:55 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
The limit switch is at the bottom of the hole that the hook on the latch goes into. Try putting your finger in and pushing the switch with the latch open. If the switch is working the light should go out.
Really? On my Boxsters, that switch causes the windows to lower, but has no effect on the dash light. Unlatch the top and the light stay off. Put the top up and the light goes out before I latch it.

On the 1997-1999 models there is a switch in the B-pillar just inside where the top hinges. That switch is closed (signal connected to ground) when the top is fully up or fully down. On 2000 and later models, like James's 2003 S, that switch has been moved inside the left side top transmission. Here's a re-labeled pic of the transmission from the Pelican Parts tech article:

I only know this stuff because I have had it all go wrong in one of the eight troubled Boxsters I've bought.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:27 PM   #4
Beginner

Garage
Thank Folks - the windows work fine so I'll be looking at the rear transmission. I put the top up and down a LOT, and the motor is now making a row,row,row,row noise (I might be wrong on the spelling here) when the top goes up and down so there is definitely something going on back there. I also had the top stop dead halfway through opening and closing on two occasions and had to coax it with the top switch to move so it has definitely been healthier. Any thoughts?
Old 09-27-2017, 02:47 PM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
If it was a plastic window, I'd say make it manual operation, but I expect it's glass and since they don't need the fold (Boxster chop) in the window, I'd say fix it.
I have a complete box of parts from an '01 that I can send if you need any part of the mechanism.
Quote:
My top literally fell apart as the glue holding it together failed.
Is the top itself coming apart? I have a few usable tops on-the-frame in storage, but they are all 99-01 plastic window. A co-worker that 'commutes' from near Houston can bring one down if you want to give it a try. Woody will probably have some good ones on hand soon from your area...
Old 10-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #6
Beginner

Garage
Well, I have a manual top now, but not for long!
Old 10-12-2017, 09:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Really? On my Boxsters, that switch causes the windows to lower, but has no effect on the dash light. Unlatch the top and the light stay off. Put the top up and the light goes out before I latch it.

On the 1997-1999 models there is a switch in the B-pillar just inside where the top hinges. That switch is closed (signal connected to ground) when the top is fully up or fully down. On 2000 and later models, like James's 2003 S, that switch has been moved inside the left side top transmission. Here's a re-labeled pic of the transmission from the Pelican Parts tech article:

I only know this stuff because I have had it all go wrong in one of the eight troubled Boxsters I've bought.
I have an 01, my left side top transmission has that micro switch. There's also one at the B pillar spot. What does that microswitch do? My car is such a puzzle.

One way to get that dash light to not light up is to remove the double relay for the top. Don't ask me how I know.:dance:

Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote