Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2006, 12:17 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
My turn. P1124 and P1126

Both codes,P1124 and P1126 both came on today on the drive to work. The car drives fine,best it has been since Iv had it. Both codes came at the same time at a stop light. A month ago I cleaned the throttle body and changed the intermediate shaft connected to it(old one had a stuck screw in it. I lost one of the screws to the intermidiate shaft that connects to the throttle body,it fell somewher in the engine compartment. Currently there is 3 of the four connecting the shaft to the throttle body. I was informed that this could allow a small air leak overtime. Could this cause these codes?

P1124 - Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 1 (Cylinders 1 - 3) - Rich Threshold
P1126 - Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 1 (Cylinders 4 - 6) - Rich Threshold

Its a 99 with 54,853 miles of love on it.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 07-26-2006 at 03:17 AM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:52 AM   #2

I recently had the same 2 codes come up on my '99. My mechanic found some air leaks- one of which was a loose hose connection at the MAF sensor. The extra unmetered air was messing with the O2 sensors. You could have too much air getting in because of that missing screw at the throttle body.

Regards,
derb
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Both codes,P1124 and P1126 both came on today on the drive to work. The car drives fine,best it has been since Iv had it. Both codes came at the same time at a stop light. A month ago I cleaned the throttle body and changed the intermediate shaft connected to it(old one had a stuck screw in it. I lost one of the screws to the intermidiate shaft that connects to the throttle body,it fell somewher in the engine compartment. Currently there is 3 of the four connecting the shaft to the throttle body. I was informed that this could allow a small air leak overtime. Could this cause these codes?

P1124 - Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 1 (Cylinders 1 - 3) - Rich Threshold
P1126 - Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 1 (Cylinders 4 - 6) - Rich Threshold

Its a 99 with 54,853 miles of love on it.

Hi,

I too suspect you are getting an air leak, probably at the TB. Remove one of the screws and take it to a hardware store to match up another one so you can secure it properly. The codes indicate that the ECU cannot enrich the mixture sufficiently to eliminate the lean condition caused by the leak. Running Lean is great for Runway Models...not too good for Cars - an Intake leak on my Esprit caused my #4 Piston to melt - get it straight ASAP...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:43 PM   #4

Ok well. I went to the local Kragen and bought 3 of the screws just incase if I dropped more of them. I went to work and did it! Finally got that darn bolt in,took alot of weird body postures though. Now I will disconnect the battery for 5 minutes,radio code in hand, and give it a go again. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #5

Let us know how that turned out, BLINK!

Thanks guys!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:18 AM   #6

Well after 10.5 miles driving around from work to the gym no problem so far. I have faith the missing bolt was what it was.