Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2006, 09:47 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Exclamation Rear Suspension Noise revisited

...Its still there, its still annoying. After having the car for 2 weeks now, I've been able to listen to the noise in my suspension more closely. For those who dont remember my last post, I complained of a Klackiting noise when i go over cracks in the roads.

The noise now doesnt really sound like a klackiting...It sounds more like a worn rubber insolator for the shock springs. Has anyone here had or has the same rattle noise in there suspension? if so, what was causing it?

CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:13 AM   #2
1JB

Is your Boxster a 987? My 987 had a definite "chirp" like squeak when I went over bumps or small indentations in the road. It came from the right rear with the top down but sounded like it was near the passenger side head area with the top up. The rear sway bar or trailing arm was replaced with no change. With the replacement of the right rear strut the problem is gone.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:55 PM   #3

well i dont know the difference form a 987 and 986, i have a regular boxster, non- s. So it was your struts....thats what im affriad of it being...i guess when i can afford all 4 new strut/shocks then ill replace them, I actually cant wait for that new car feel while driving.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:16 PM   #4
1JB

The 986 number went up to the 2005 year when the Boxster went to the 987 model designation. I don't know what the warranty period is for the your car but it may be replaced under warranty. Mine was but then the car was only 2 weeks old.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:35 AM   #5

well im sure they probably dont have a 100,000 mile warrantee unless porsche is bought out by Hyundi
Old 07-20-2007, 09:18 AM   #6

Rear suspension rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
...Its still there, its still annoying. After having the car for 2 weeks now, I've been able to listen to the noise in my suspension more closely. For those who dont remember my last post, I complained of a Klackiting noise when i go over cracks in the roads.

The noise now doesnt really sound like a klackiting...It sounds more like a worn rubber insolator for the shock springs. Has anyone here had or has the same rattle noise in there suspension? if so, what was causing it?
My 2004 Boxster S, 31k miles, has a rattle which sounds like rear suspension. It is most noticable at speeds under 20mph. It seems to occur when pavement drops, such as a a seam.

My dealer hears the sound. They have ckecked mounting bolts, ball joints, engine and exhaust shielding, driveshafts and drivetrain. They could not find the cause.

The noise is getting worse and driving me crazy. It sounds like the suspension rattle of a NYC cab.
TEWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:23 AM   #7

Oh dude, your super late in responding to that thread lol, i've already fixed the problem it was the rear control arm (track Arm). the ball joint wears out and rattles, hard to detect by looking at the parts. A site sponser sells a set of adjustible track arms for under 300 a set, which is better than the just under 400 price the dealer wants for just 1 arm.

Heres the link and information for the Repair on the Rear Upper Control Arm Track Arms.
DIY - Replace Rear Upper Control Arms (Track Arms)

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg

Last edited by CJ_Boxster; 07-20-2007 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:46 PM   #8

My mechanic tells me that rear tracking arms do go out and cause a racket of a noise when going over bumps in older boxsters.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:49 PM   #9

Tis true, remember this is an old thread, solved the problem more than 4 months ago. It was the rear upper control/track arms.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
Old 07-25-2007, 05:31 PM   #10

control arms

I am having the same problem with my car. Where can I find these for a good price?

juan986 is offline   Reply With Quote