Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2017, 05:22 PM   #1

What now?

2002 Boxster Base 144k new water pump, aos, plugs, tubes, low temp thermostat, motor mount, coolant tank (to name a few)

But......yesterday as I was driving home things went bad. Real bad.
The temp gauge maxxed out, red light blinking, all lights on dash blinking ( I thought it was a short of some kind), power steering went out. No loud sounds or squealing at all. Engine was running ok (or so I thought)
Steam started to spew out the passenger side. I made it home as there was no safe place to park.

This morning when I opened up the engine cover I saw that the alternator pulley had sheared off. Gone. The belt was intact but not connected to anything.
Oil looks clean. I poured in distilled water and it immediately leaked out from what appears to be the center of the engine somewhere.
Called my indie. He said to try and start the car briefly. It started fine and was idling a bit high. I shut it down and tried again. Again it started right up but was kind of "sluggish" or "underpowered" no noises, no mechanical sounds.

He says that he would need to replace the alternator, and then track down the leak before even attempting to assess what further damage I caused.
That's going to cost at least 1k (I'm guessing)
Is it EVEN worth it on a car with 144k?
He said the fact that it starts is a good sign, but how likely is permanent catastrophic damage?

From what I can gather, worst case is the engine is cracked, warped, or damaged beyond repair from overheating.
Best case, a new alternator and a hose blew.
Is this accurate? Can anyone with more experience and knowledge help me out here?
I realize it can't be diagnosed over the internet, but I can't tell if I blew up the engine or not. Is there any other way to assess the damage?

robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:49 AM   #2

update:

While poking around yesterday I found a broken rubber coated metal hose on top of the engine and one that has that weird clip like on the AOS hoses maybe broken as well. I am pretty sure that's where the leaks are from. One of the hoses has that weird connector like the AOS hoses do.

The biggest problem is $$ as I don't have enough at the moment to have the indie do both jobs (He only uses Porsche parts!)

Should I do the alternator myself and then have him fix the hoses?
Anyone with experience with Autozone alternators?
From what I have read here, they work fine.

I think one of them is from the coolant bottle and I'm not sure about the other one.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:55 AM   #3

Garage
Why don't you do it yourself? If you can change the alternator I guess you could also change the hose.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:07 AM   #4
Project Addicted

Can you post a picture???
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:24 AM   #5

yes. I will post photos in a little while.
Thanks.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3230 View Post
Why don't you do it yourself? If you can change the alternator I guess you could also change the hose.
Rob, where in LA are you located..?
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:47 AM   #7

This is a duplicate thread.
Please check the other one where I'll continue the conversation and I just uploaded some photos.

Thanks

Last edited by robdelorenzo; 08-29-2017 at 12:12 PM.