Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2017, 01:41 PM   #1

Seat belt will not retract, it's all the way out-NOW FIXED

OK-I fixed it (see second paragraph).
My large old friend pulled the damned belt all the way out in my '02 and it won't retract. There is a tiny bit of play and I've taken the interior cover off to get at the mechanism. I can't see the mechanical locking mechanism, just the belt going onto the reel.

OK, I found out how to fix it. Remove the interior panel-it just clicks in so it will pull right out. With that pulled out of the way (I left the top fastener attached) you'll see a black plastic cover over the belt reel. That pops off as well and you'll see 3 yellow plastic wheels with teeth. At the top there is a white plastic lever. Push that lever to disengage the lock and tug the belt. After several tries I got the belt to retract as usual. Button it all together, snap the panel back and go drive. Good luck.
Tom

Last edited by tlc356; 08-15-2017 at 05:08 AM.
tlc356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:45 PM   #2

tlc356,

I recommend you just replace the belt & reel.
Don't buy brand new. Brand new belts are way over priced.

I had a belt&reel that was inop for about a year, but when my Boxster would not pass my safety inspection I had to get it fixed.
I purchased a replacement from Woody, and his price was super low.

Just my two-cents.
MNC-I

mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote