Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2006, 09:50 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Technical: I just got an oil change about 1 week ago

I noticed yesterday that the oil level indicater on my dash will say im 3 bars away from full but then later that day it'll say im Full again....cause for concern or not really?

CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:26 AM   #2

Do a search on the forum and you'll find lots of threads on this. Basically, you need to check the oil when the engine is cold (in the morning before you leave for the day) or after the car has had 30+ minutes to sit with the engine off.

You have 9 quarts of oil that have to work their way through the entire engine to get back to the sump for an accurate reading to be made.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:29 AM   #3

Hi,

And remember that the Top Bar is overfilled, you want to be at the one just below the Top. Each Bar represents approximately a Cup of Oil and with a 9Qt. system, being down a Cup is of no concern at all...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:48 AM   #4

Smile

My kingdom for a dipstick!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
My kingdom for a dipstick!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi,

Porsche Engineer paraphrasing Treasure of the Sierra Madre: "Dipschtick? Nein! Yu don need no schinking Dipschtick - Das Dipschick ist da guy vas riite der chek for ze Car... zher ist yur Dipschtick.."

Last edited by MNBoxster; 07-21-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:26 PM   #6

ok Did the search and it didnt full answer my concern....Ok in detail here is what concerns me about my oil level indicator. In the morning when im about to start my Box after its been sitting for about 8 hours, Ill get a oil level of 3 bars below full. Ill drive it and get to work and go back down to check the oil level 1hr later and it will give me a oil level of FULL....is the sensor or "MY" sensor seem to be faulty or is my Boxster half Car, half Oil Refinery?
Old 07-21-2006, 02:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Porsche Engineer paraphrasing Treasure of the Sierra Madre: "Dipschtick? Nein! Yu don need no schinking Dipschtick - Das Dipschick ist da guy vas riite dem chek for ze Car... zher ist yur Dipschtick.."

Is that the same as "badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

Old 07-21-2006, 02:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Is that the same as "badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Hi,

'Badges'...?? I think that's another thread Bruce...

Old 07-21-2006, 02:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
ok Did the search and it didnt full answer my concern....Ok in detail here is what concerns me about my oil level indicator. In the morning when im about to start my Box after its been sitting for about 8 hours, Ill get a oil level of 3 bars below full. Ill drive it and get to work and go back down to check the oil level 1hr later and it will give me a oil level of FULL....is the sensor or "MY" sensor seem to be faulty or is my Boxster half Car, half Oil Refinery?
Hi,

Warm Oil will expand raising the level. Second, the Car must be on level ground - impossible to get an exact duplicate reading in two separate locations - if you do it's coincidence. Third, the Digi-guages are not the most accurate. Fourth, almost all Oil changes done at a mechanic or dealer tend to be slightly overfilled as they don't take the time to drain it fully, so more usually goes back in than came out (by a small margin). Finally, your car also has a Low Oil Indicator (the bottom Bar will Flash) if you're dangerously Low and a diagnostic system (entire display flashes) if there is a bad sensor, broken wire or short.

In short, I think you're obsessing. Ask the shop how much Oil they put in. If they say 9 Qts., you're OK. But, don't be tempted to add any more. Damage to the Cats and OČ sensors will result from chronic overfilling...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99 (mit das Dipschtick)
Old 07-21-2006, 03:38 PM   #10

Thanks Jim, That was a great deal of help, Yeah i am obsessing a bit, mainly cause i just got the box and my last porsche was a 67 912. So is it not sooo out of the ordinary for the meter to vary 3 bars from the last indiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Warm Oil will expand raising the level. Second, the Car must be on level ground - impossible to get an exact duplicate reading in two separate locations - if you do it's coincidence. Third, the Digi-guages are not the most accurate. Fourth, almost all Oil changes done at a mechanic or dealer tend to be slightly overfilled as they don't take the time to drain it fully, so more usually goes back in than came out (by a small margin). Finally, your car also has a Low Oil Indicator (the bottom Bar will Flash) if you're dangerously Low and a diagnostic system (entire display flashes) if there is a bad sensor, broken wire or short.

In short, I think you're obsessing. Ask the shop how much Oil they put in. If they say 9 Qts., you're OK. But, don't be tempted to add any more. Damage to the Cats and OČ sensors will result from chronic overfilling...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99 (mit das Dipschtick)
Old 07-21-2006, 06:43 PM   #11

Good job,

Thanks Jim~!

Old 07-22-2006, 02:27 PM   #12

As long as all of the bars are not lit up your ok

As long as the indicator isn't flashing your ok.

So this means...your OK!!!