Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #1

Used Engine 2005 S

Anyone need an engine for an 2005, S, 3 CHAIN ? NOT MINE !
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/pts/d/987-porsche-boxster-motor-61k/6244637378.html

Last edited by Gelbster; 08-14-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:38 AM   #2

Garage
I paid $4,500 (shipped) for a 986S 3.2 engine with 41k miles last November.
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbonilla View Post
I paid $4,500 (shipped) for a 986S 3.2 engine with 41k miles last November.
What year? There's a big difference in price between a five and three chain 3.2. That is high for a three chain 3.2 though
Old 08-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
What year? There's a big difference in price between a five and three chain 3.2. That is high for a three chain 3.2 though
and how many of the ancillaries are included
Old 08-15-2017, 04:05 AM   #5

Garage
It was a 2004 3.2 engine with 41k miles from a tip so it was a direct swap into my 2003.

It was described as complete from the exhaust manifolds up, but arrived with a damaged wiring harness (scorch marks and bare wires) leading to concerns over the state of the alternator, no starter, and without exhaust manifolds. Replacing the wiring harness would have required removing and reinstalling the intake manifold, so additional cost to me, not to mention sourcing a harness from a tip for that year (mine had sat for a few months in the winter and rodents had moved in and damaged it - they're not common and not cheap), the missing parts would need sourcing and replacing. All in all a very protracted and not always cordial set of negotiations with the vendor (a well know source of used parts in Los Angeles) that was mostly resolved favorably.

I say "mostly" as the replacement exhaust manifold threw a CEL and at that point we quit arguing with the vendor and swapped them from my old engine. All in all a lengthy process and not for the faint of heart (I did not do the work myself but had my local indie do the work (Auto sports system group, which held my hand at every step of the way). And yes, we pulled the pan to verify that the engine was sound, replaced the IMS and RMS, etc. while there's no way to verify the mileage the mechanic who installed the engine said that in his opinion it pulled and sounded like the engine was as described

I suspect that financially it was just about a wash compared to selling the car as a roller, but I had put a fair amount of $$ into it recently for non-engine work so I wa confident in it being a better car than it was worth. Had 100k miles on it when the IMS went

Last edited by Cbonilla; 08-15-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:31 AM   #6

Interesting details.You did well to fix it all ! Care to name the vendor?
Old 08-15-2017, 11:05 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Interesting details.You did well to fix it all ! Care to name the vendor?
I'd rather not in a public forum. If you or anyone else is interested I'll do it via PM.

Getting the engine to the condition i had been promised was like pulling teeth. In addition to the items I already mentioned, I had been told that they would perform a leak down test before the engine went out. When I heard this I asked them to provide the results. "No Problem" was the response. Engine came (and in addition to the problems noted) no leak down tests. When I called and asked for them the salesman who had promised the results said "Why on earth would you write down the results of a leak down test."

As I say, not for the faint of heart, if your going to do this it requires commitment