Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2017, 11:36 AM   #1
My Creator Life

HELP NEEDED: with buying an exhaust system

Hello everyone,
I’m looking for a completely new exhaust system for my 2002 986. It’s a Tiptronic non S. I already know I need new cats so I need new headers as well. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but form what I can figure they are connected. I’ve been looking around for a few weeks and I have found that there is a lot out there to choose from. I am looking for a GREAT loud sound and some light performance improvements… Small or no cats would be an option as well. I would like to be in the $2000 or under price range. I would like your thoughts on different setups and brands of systems. And any pics and personal experience with exhaust swaps will also be greatly appreciated…

MyCeratorLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:36 PM   #2

A use of the search command within the forum would give you lots of specific experiences. Beware of drone.

Also, price hearing aids. Your ears are only designed for a certain number of vibrations by the maker and increasing the intensity of sounds hastens their loss of effectiveness. (They cost more than your muffler budget!)
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:51 AM   #3

There are almost as many opinions on this subject as there on what oil to use. But since you asked...

If sound is your primary goal and you don't want droning in the sweet spot, I'd suggest a Fabspeed Maxflo exhaust and secondary cat bypass pipes. Headers are tricky on these cars because of the O2 sensors. Get one without cats and you'll probably throw CELs. Since performance seems secondary, skip the headers and enjoy the symphony. That's what I did.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:12 AM   #4

HELP NEEDED: with buying an exhaust system

I would just spring for the complete Fabspeed setup. Headers cats everything is stainless including brackets and hangers. There is no
Drone. It is loud but Not ear crushing and you will see a real gain in HP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk