Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2017, 05:32 AM   #1

Valve Housing for EVAP System: Has Anyone Replaced?

I'm still trying to solve the hoot-hoot noise from the fuel filler area, so I asked about this issue on the PCA tech forum and someone answered that it was probably the valve housing in the front right fender: 996 201 231 01. I've already replaced the two valves in this housing to try to resolve the problem. I also replaced the regen valve under the engine intake and the valve on the fuel filler neck.

Since this component retails for around $500, I was wondering if there was any forum experience regarding this part before I open my wallet. Any idea what exactly could fail in the housing (rubber seal, etc.)? It looks like one of the two lines attached to it leads to the grommet opening in the fuel filler door, so my hunch is that the housing has failed in such a way that the associated valve is unable to properly seal off this line.

I've really been struggling to troubleshoot this issue. With no CEL, no refueling issues, no drivability concerns...seems I'm pretty much left to replacing parts.

My wife refers to the car as "our little locomotive...toot-toot!"

Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:34 AM   #2

Wow...no forum experience with this?

I guess I'll forge ahead and report any results...
Old 08-11-2017, 04:41 AM   #3

I'm thinking you might have a rare problem as no one has ever bought that part from me. I'll sell you one for $20 plus shipping if you're interested
Old 08-11-2017, 05:07 AM   #4

Thanks Woody!
I'll pm you shortly. For 20 bucks it's worth a try. My only concern with a used part is that this might be a problem with a degraded rubber seal. For what it's worth, I can take one apart and check it out.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:45 AM   #5

I had the same problem. I put a piece of medical tape over the hole and the sound vanished. No CEL, no issues whatsoever. Been driving for 2+ years that way.

I_like_tacos is offline   Reply With Quote