Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2017, 10:55 AM   #1

New top, now a dash light is on?

I just picked my car up from getting a new top, and the dash light saying the top isnt closed, is always on now. The company said thats normal, and it will take a few days of stretching the top out, and the light will go away. Anyone ever hear of this?

Joe

Snipershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #2

Garage
Problem is most likely the microswitch that senses that the top is closed. You can close the top and then stick a finger in where the locking latch goes and try to push the switch. If the light goes out you have found the culprit. This is a very common problem.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:43 PM   #3

Thanks! Its weird that it worked fine with the old top, and doesnt work after the new top got installed

Joe
Old 08-02-2017, 06:01 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipershot View Post
Thanks! Its weird that it worked fine with the old top, and doesnt work after the new top got installed

Joe
If you remember you held the close button until the light went out on your instrument pod indicating closed, microswitch at latch had nothing to do with it. What you can try is open the top and release the 2 cables at the back. This should allow the transmissions to go full stop and turn the light off. If this works then the new top may relax enough or you might have to adjust the cables a little.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
If you remember you held the close button until the light went out on your instrument pod indicating closed, microswitch at latch had nothing to do with it. What you can try is open the top and release the 2 cables at the back. This should allow the transmissions to go full stop and turn the light off. If this works then the new top may relax enough or you might have to adjust the cables a little.
Thanks man. I didnt even think about that. I just unlatched the top, pressed the close button, and the light went out! I like these easy fixes. Lol. Thanks fellas. Now i gotta wait 2 weeks before i lower the top, which is gonna suck. Lol.

Joe