Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2017, 03:14 PM   #1
Registered User
 
dulmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Orangeville, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 229
Garage
What size speaker do these use?

Hi All,

Can anyone confirm what size speakers can be installed in the rear speaker mounts for the rear shelf storage box? I've heard some people say 3" while others say 3.5". This is the OEM part.

Thanks




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:26 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 60
The OEM has to be modified to fit 3.5. You can buy new mounts on e-bay made to fit 3.5. Do not know the original size that fits without modification. I have been looking to replace my rear speakers and decided best solution was to buy new mounts from e-bay and go 3.5s that are readily available.
ExplorerLyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:34 PM   #3
Registered User
 
dulmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Orangeville, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 229
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerLyon View Post
The OEM has to be modified to fit 3.5. You can buy new mounts on e-bay made to fit 3.5. Do not know the original size that fits without modification. I have been looking to replace my rear speakers and decided best solution was to buy new mounts from e-bay and go 3.5s that are readily available.


Thanks for the reply. I ordered a pair the other day and then read that they likely were made for 3" speakers, which hardly anyone makes. Looks like I will have to try and modify them for 3.5" speakers...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:47 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 60
Here is a thread about fitting 3.5 speakers. Unfortunately many pictures are now missing, but it will give you an idea what modification is needed.

Installing aftermarket rear speakers
ExplorerLyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:22 PM   #5
Registered User
 
dulmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Orangeville, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 229
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerLyon View Post
Here is a thread about fitting 3.5 speakers. Unfortunately many pictures are now missing, but it will give you an idea what modification is needed.



Installing aftermarket rear speakers


Thanks!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:50 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Christian H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Beverley East Yorkshire UK
Posts: 302
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerLyon View Post
Here is a thread about fitting 3.5 speakers. Unfortunately many pictures are now missing, but it will give you an idea what modification is needed.

Installing aftermarket rear speakers
Hi guys all my photobucket pics have gone but if I can find them on my hard drive I'll see if I can edit my old posts and add them in.
Christian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:01 AM   #7
I am No. 1348
 
algiorda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Tampa/FL
Posts: 340
Garage
Many folks purchase this bracket instead. It is for 3.5 inch speakers.
1997-2011 Porsche Boxster Custom Rear Speaker Bracket Set | eBay
__________________
Current: 2004 Boxster S 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition (BSSE)
algiorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:21 PM   #8
Registered User
 
BruceH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 2,483
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
Many folks purchase this bracket instead. It is for 3.5 inch speakers.
1997-2011 Porsche Boxster Custom Rear Speaker Bracket Set | eBay
Those are the mounts I bought, excellent quality
__________________
______________________________________________
2001 Boxster S Lapis Blue
TS Cat Bypass Pipes and exhaust
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:17 PM   #9
Registered User
 
dulmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Orangeville, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 229
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Those are the mounts I bought, excellent quality


Wish I saw those first...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:37 PM   #10
Registered User
 
BruceH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 2,483
Garage
I originally modified my OEM brackets and they were "ok" since no one could see them, fortunately! But I knew what they looked like and it bothered me. I saw the brackets as part of the full kit that Euromotorspeed sells. I contacted them about buying just the brackets and they agreed. They are well worth the price IMO.
__________________
______________________________________________
2001 Boxster S Lapis Blue
TS Cat Bypass Pipes and exhaust
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:42 PM   #11
Registered User
 
dulmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Orangeville, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 229
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
I originally modified my OEM brackets and they were "ok" since no one could see them, fortunately! But I knew what they looked like and it bothered me. I saw the brackets as part of the full kit that Euromotorspeed sells. I contacted them about buying just the brackets and they agreed. They are well worth the price IMO.


I'll try modifying the ones I'm getting, and if I'm not happy with the result, I'll buy the Euromotorsport ones. Thanks guys.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page