Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2017, 01:08 PM   #1

"cabrio rubber buffer" installation

Hi folks,

So I installed some "cabrio rubber buffers" (part number 986-561-881-00), on my 2001 Boxster's soft top linkage to replace old torn ones, but then I noticed one of my new replacements got chewed up and spat out after a very short time.

See picture for what a I'm talking about (not sure I have the remnant handy)...

I figure I must have not installed it properly. So, can anyone tell me what the trick is to installing these so they last a long time?

Is the bolt not supposed to be tightened until it bottoms out on the threads, and instead left only partway tightened (perhaps using some sort of special threadlocker so it doesn't loosen up?) I cranked down on the bolts until the threads started bottoming out, might have used a little blue threadlocker too, but then it seems that really put the squeeze on the rubber bushing.

I also installed it with some fancy Krytox rubber-compatible grease (like silicone), but maybe a I put it on the wrong spot or should have just left it "dry", as I noticed that might have been what got it moving around into the wrong spot, and eventually span out.

The other side I installed is still in position, for some reason.

Cheers (and thanks to any Boxster top experts who can help!)

Old 07-08-2017, 01:29 PM   #2

Here is one of the remnant pieces... (just fished it out of the drain)!
Old 07-09-2017, 10:30 AM   #3

I've learned more about this issue, and have come up with an experimental solution...

Here are the removable pieces involved, disassembled...

To the inside of the rubber piece, there is a free-rotating copper bushing, and then a steel piece, which the screw, when tightened, fixes into position so it can't rotate.

The problem, as best I can understand, is inadequate axial clearance for the rubber bushing. Notice the rubber piece is sticking out a little over 2mm past the end of the fixed steel sleeve:

This lack of clearance pinches the rubber bushing, causing friction and accelerating its wear. I have no idea why the assembly would be designed this way. (Maybe the rubber piece was updated with thicker dimension, but other updated parts in my assembly are outdated/older style?)

My experimental solution to allieviate the rubber pinch is fabricating a thin aluminum spacer. It's a bit over 2mm thick:

(A side note on lubrication: I think Lubricating the outer edges of the rubber bushing was also a bad idea - the piece should not move with respect to the piece it's inserted in. The inner area of the rubber bushing rotate mostly on the copper sleeve, so seems like lubrication is optional. Lubricating between steel and copper pieces pretty clearly seems like a good idea

Here is how the assembly (with experimental spacers) looks like all put together:
Old 07-11-2017, 02:54 AM   #4
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I'm in to see how this turns out. I've had to change those on mine a few times now.

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote