Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2006, 04:25 PM   #1

Dansk mufflers for 2.7L Boxsters

Hi all, I am thinking of getting a Dansk sport muffler for my 2000 2.7L Boxster. I hear they are lighter, sound better and offer some performance improvements. I hear that mostly from the folks that sell the mufflers. Does anyone have any experinece with them, thanks,

Ed

edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:48 PM   #2

A friend who's also a forum member put a schnell muffler on his 2.7 and said it looked identical to the one you're asking about... and it wasn't louder or better sounding and he promptly had it removed.

This is a good thread though... someone with a the muffler on the sized engine you have should reply with what their before and after experiences are to help you (and me!) determine if this is worth the big bucks one spends on an aftermarket muffler.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 02:37 AM   #3

Exhaust, ECU, Cold Air Intake - Long

This is the background behind me asking about the Dansk muffler. Below is a reply I just did to an older thread on exhaust systems:

Hi all, I just got a 2.7 L 2000 boxster and had some funds set aside to do some mods. My first stop was the Autothority Pitstop in DC (a 3 hour drive from my Central Virginia location). They chipped the car and put in a TTP cold air intake. Very big improvment in performance. BTW, I was very impressed by the Crew at AP and would recommend them to others.

I had also ordered a set of Fabspeed secondary bypass pipes and had my local mechanic put them on about a week after the tune. They seemed to give a modestly louder, more agressive sound and perhaps the car is a little more freely reving with the fabspeed pipes.

The car is running great, in fact, I just had the shift cables replaced at Euroclassics in Richmond yesterday and the mechanic knew my car from a previous service visit before I had the ECU and intake mods. He testdrove the car after the mods and he could not believe it, he wanted to know about the HP increase (AP folks say 29+ hp increase) and such and said he thought my little 2.7L Boxster now felt like a Boxster S (which I have never driven...).

Anyway, me wanting more of a good thing..... how do you spell expensive exhaust systems. The folks at AP have a ECU chip that they spent a lot of time developing for the 2.7L Boxster setup with the TTP intake I have plus a set of German headers (with no cats) and a special 200 cell high flow cat that would replace my Fabspeed secondary bypass cats.

That would be an exhaust rig with headers (no cats) and only a high flow cat where the secondary cats live in a stock car going the the stock (or maybe Dansk) muffler. This rig is supposed to sound wonderful (even with stock muffler) and really allow the car to breath in and out.... that is go fast. I will probably have the mod done in the next couple weeks.

BTW, my gas milage dropped into the teens after the ECU and intake mod, but that was just because I was driving with a lead foot most of the time. I took a trip to Florida last week with the car with the mods and keeping the car at about 70 mph with the top down, and no AC, I was getting better than 29 mpg when I could behave myself.

BTW, when I get the headers and such, I will be taking off my 2-week old Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes and will probably be selling them if anyone is interested.

Ed

edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote